The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Cheap Arduino Auto leveler
This is quite interesting. EmptyYesterday at 6:53 pm by 17b

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
This is quite interesting. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
This is quite interesting. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
This is quite interesting. EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
This is quite interesting. EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
This is quite interesting. EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
This is quite interesting. EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
This is quite interesting. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
This is quite interesting. EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12453 messages in 1983 subjects

We have 1011 registered users

The newest registered user is stig58

2 posters

This is quite interesting.

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

This is quite interesting. Empty This is quite interesting.

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Wed Feb 23, 2011 3:27 pm

An interesting article....HERE

This is quite interesting. Empty Re: This is quite interesting.

Post  Guest Thu Feb 24, 2011 8:47 pm

A Kittredge K-350 design. The number designates the diving depth the boat is good for in feet.

I believe they make these from tanks designed for gas storage. People knock them up in their garages and dip them in large lakes- they even have an annual convention in the states.

They call them p-subs ( the 'p' is for personal).

An earlier and smaller design by Kittredge called the K-250 caught my eye a while back.

This is quite interesting. SUB002SM

I found a simple drawing, with some basic details and a rough photograph. Later on I discovered a lot more photographs of this class of boat. At 1/8th scale I could use bog standard 110mm PVC waste pipe for the hull. I turned up some masters from MDF for the front and rear sections, made plaster casts, and laid them up in GRP. These parts could also be used for a myriad of other submersible types. The eagle eyed will spot I got the shape slightly wrong in places, this owing to the poor quality of photograph I had initially. However since every boat of this type differs in some way, I think I have some artistic license.

This is quite interesting. Lay-up

This is quite interesting. Castings

Need to take some more pictures of the other parts of this model I've built. Here is a brief description-

The model is a handy size at about 14" long. But the large scale and chunky dimensions make access easy.

The project hit the buffers when I sat down to think about a simple way to make the thrusters and get a scale appearance. Most people cheat with these, and just use oversized motors, which looks awful IMO. I fancied running the props through bevel gears, with the larger motors inside the main pressure hull, but finding some bevel gears small enough proved a chore.

In the end I've settled on some from SHG, which give me slightly above scale pod thrusters, but which look the part.

I've made a turret from PVC pipe heat formed to the correct diameter around a wooden former, using a jubilee clip to keep it in place whilst a wafted a hot air gun over the PVC to lock it in place.

For the dome a standard 75mm item from EMA's does the trick. Skids have been fashioned from brass sheet and soft soldered together, and the rudder from G10 epoxy sheet (also known as 'industructonium').

Currently head scratching about a ballast system. For a small model it displaces a lot being a dry hull, and needs about a 300 ml tank! The original features three ballast tanks, forward, aft and trim tank in the centre. That could prove challenging and I favour a single tank if possible.

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:00 pm

That's very nice. So you are building again or is it an old project?

Post  Guest Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:58 pm

It's an earlier project revisited. Those are very early shots of the first pulls.

Here's a picture of the brass skids I made up. Should help to keep the weight low, and they should take a clonk.

I am going to mill some slots into the PVC cylinder and bond them in with some Fusion glue.

Got a little more work to do on the pod thrusters before I start work on the guts of the boat.

This is quite interesting. Skids10

Current date/time is Sun May 12, 2024 8:14 pm