The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
Gyro / Arudino question EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Gyro / Arudino question EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
Gyro / Arudino question EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Gyro / Arudino question EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Gyro / Arudino question EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Gyro / Arudino question EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Gyro / Arudino question EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Gyro / Arudino question EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Gyro / Arudino question EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12452 messages in 1983 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

4 posters

Gyro / Arudino question

timgarrod
    AMS Website Webmaster

Gyro / Arudino question Empty Gyro / Arudino question

Post  timgarrod Tue Jan 31, 2017 5:43 pm

Evening All,

Been playing with Arudino for a couple of weeks now and love it. I thinking of replacing the gyro in my tyhoon with one but wondering if this would work.

when on the surface

I will have control of both the front plane and rear link together so both go in the same direction. ie / /

but when under

I put it in auto mode and then the rear plane are just controlled by the gyro.

reason for do this is I hoping it will help dive level. is this worth doing.

cheers
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Gyro / Arudino question Empty Re: Gyro / Arudino question

Post  david f Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:04 pm

I haven't tried level control for some time. Then it was using accelerometers with voltage output feeding into the analogue to digital input of PIC processors. It wasn't very good with not enough sensitivity.

I would try getting a digital accelerometer to talk to an Arduino, if I was you. (By the way it is accelerometers you want. Things that measure gravity (tilt) rather than gyros which (I think!) measure angular acceleration.)

You might try building on what Tim Senecal has already done using the LSM303 D chip. This is used for telemetry with an Arduino really as a electronic compass. But the chip also has accelerometers for 3 dimensions and all for about £9 !

You would be able to get the software up and running for the compass and maybe then get a single accelerometer output to then run pwm to a servo.

I don't know how you are getting on with the Arduino. I find the Nano clones are good. The Serial Monitor is also so useful in getting things running.

David
    timgarrod
    AMS Website Webmaster

Post  timgarrod Thu Feb 02, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi David,

Thanks, i will give it a go. think in the kit i got there was a 3 and 2 angle accelerometers. I starting to under stand it and can get it to do what i want with one chanel but not two.

I got it to read 4 channel on the serial port and display the reading.
    SimonH

Post  SimonH Tue May 02, 2023 9:01 pm

Not sure if you have already found this but looking ahead to possibly using one of the many 3-axis accelerometer boards I found a good paper from the semi manufacturer NXP on how to convert the 3-axis outputs to pitch/roll/yaw.
    Its lots of maths but a lot would simplify based on the fact pitch/roll should be small (unlike aerospace examples), though not sure it would be feasible on an arduino nano. RP2040 versions or raspberry pi pico should have the grunt and code space to do it.
    It also is good at explaing why things can go loopy under certain conditions.

Rather than include it here, the app note is AN3461 from NXP/Freescale titled 'Tilt Sensing Using a Three-Axis Accelerometer', simply look for NXP AN3461 and it should appear in your favourite browser.

You still have the task of generating the control surface movement from the pitch angle, but its a start if you like to roll your own stuff.

david f likes this post

maxx78

Post  maxx78 Wed May 03, 2023 1:13 pm

I personally use "off the shelf" boards for quadrocopters and INAV in Airplane mode.

it has a learning curve but you get a finished control loop and only have to set your PID gains.

And you need the Channels from the receiver as as von PPM stream, but there adapaters for this.

https://github.com/iNavFlight/inav

david f likes this post

Current date/time is Thu May 09, 2024 5:35 pm