The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 9 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 9 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Newbie needs advice!
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» Sheerline gasket material
Hi just joined  What about S boats? EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12449 messages in 1981 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

Similar topics

5 posters

Hi just joined What about S boats?

Polycell

Hi just joined  What about S boats? Empty Hi just joined What about S boats?

Post  Polycell Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:29 am

I've been interested in model submarines for some years as an ex submariner I suppose this comes as a natural!
    OK introdductions out the way. I have a dismembered type IIA my first boat and was till a year ago, working on a Sheerline type VII U boat. Why a year ago? Well we lived in the south of France for 10 years so loads of time for hobbies we decided to move back to the UK and now live in Cornwall. Why did we move back? Dunno bad move I guess cos its done nowt but rain!!
    Anyway I need help with my type VII its marrying the two halfs is causing me stress to the extent I'm thinking of selling it and starting anew. So anyone built an S class Brit boat the WWII S boat. They were beautiful boats (good looking is what I meant) So if anyone has had a go at building one I'd appreciate some help or advice.
    Thanks Fred
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Hi just joined  What about S boats? Empty Re: Hi just joined What about S boats?

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:56 am

Hi Fred, and welcome to the forum..

I believe there's a couple of the lads who have built, or are building an S class, but before we spend your hard earned, what exactly is the problem with the Type V11? Maybe a couple of pictures would help us to sort your problem out?

Regards,

Richard
    Polycell

Hi just joined  What about S boats? Empty Re: Hi just joined What about S boats?

Post  Polycell Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:04 am

Richard(Admin) wrote:Hi Fred, and welcome to the forum..

I believe there's a couple of the lads who have built, or are building an S class, but before we spend your hard earned, what exactly is the problem with the Type V11? Maybe a couple of pictures would help us to sort your problem out?

Regards,

Richard
    I can't get the two halves to marry up without a gap.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:09 am

Always a problem, that..you can try using brass pegs, or another favourite is to use magnets, they will often close a gap nicely.
    Polycell

Post  Polycell Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:40 pm

Richard(Admin) wrote:Always a problem, that..you can try using brass pegs, or another favourite is to use magnets, they will often close a gap nicely.
    Done the using magnet thing but I still have a hair line crack. I'm hoping after a year the grp will have settled!!
    Fred
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:39 am

I am sure somebody can help with the "hull gap" problem but maybe you will have to live with the hairline gap?

S boats seem to have been rare in the last few years. U class boats 2 a penny! I take it you have S class drawings etc?

David
    Polycell

Post  Polycell Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:59 am

david f wrote:I am sure somebody can help with the "hull gap" problem but maybe you will have to live with the hairline gap?

S boats seem to have been rare in the last few years. U class boats 2 a penny! I take it you have S class drawings etc?

David
    No drawings but thats not a problem I'd like some instruction in building a grp hull though!
    Crossie
    AMS member

Post  Crossie Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:54 am

Polycell wrote:
    Richard(Admin) wrote:Always a problem, that..you can try using brass pegs, or another favourite is to use magnets, they will often close a gap nicely.
    Done the using magnet thing but I still have a hair line crack. I'm hoping after a year the grp will have settled!!
    Fred

Hi,
    grp moldings often change their shape while stored unless braced or left in the mold, however the simple single skin/coreless type such as we use for boat hulls wether molded in epoxy or polyester can usually be brought back to shape quite easily. May I suggest that you brace the two halves internally to prevent crushing, locate the halves corectly possibly with pegs as suggested, then bind them together with light bungies/rubber strips so as to keep a constant tension. Now wrap the assembly in an electric blanket or somehow heat-a very hot waterbath is ok-it for a couple of hours and allow to cool before untying. Usually any reamaing gaps are simply due to the original mold inaccuracies and can be dealt with using the appropriate filler materials.
    I hope that this may help, it is a method that has been successfuly used on motorcycle/car moldings that have been badly stored under heaps of other stuff or left in the summer sun[ho-ho!] for lengthy periods.

Trevor
    Polycell

Post  Polycell Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:18 pm

Thanks Trevor good tip
    Fred
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Thu Mar 07, 2013 4:23 pm

Looking at the AMS Facebook page, I'm reminded that, of course, Paul C built HMS Satyr - an S class.

This is written up in the Traplet book - I think it is Simply Model Submarines. A good article but I'm not sure that I would recommend using a compressor system nowadays. (A bit complicated.)

David

acrowot (Geof)
    acrowot (Geof)

Post  acrowot (Geof) Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:11 pm

talking of pauls cooks HMS Satyr paul did a great DVD could RC Submariner from traplets

http://www.trapletshop.com/gb/p/13087/rc-submariner

it has a good detailed video of it on how he made it plus some excellent footage of paul sailing HMS Satyr
    there is also 9 different subs on the DVD as well well worth getting
    geof

Current date/time is Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:40 am