The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 1 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

david f

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» U-Boat R/C?
The Forum. EmptyYesterday at 11:02 am by stig58

» Cheap Arduino Auto leveler
The Forum. EmptySat May 11, 2024 6:53 pm by 17b

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
The Forum. EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
The Forum. EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
The Forum. EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
The Forum. EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
The Forum. EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
The Forum. EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
The Forum. EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12459 messages in 1984 subjects

We have 1012 registered users

The newest registered user is Tony 51

+3
salmon
tattooed
Tom(ADMIN)
7 posters

The Forum.

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

The Forum. Empty The Forum.

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Oct 26, 2012 4:16 pm

Chaps, it seems to me(and a few others)that our forum is dying on it's feet. Apart from one or two stalwarts, nobody seems to post anything any longer. There's one current build log ongoing, one recent request for a used sub kit and the odd ebay link...and that's about it.

People regularly visit the forum, and there's always a few guests online, but nobody posts anything...why? When I started the forum, everybody wanted it...now we've got it, nobody uses it.

So, we need some input to the forum, and quickly. I know that there's a huge amount of submarine information stored in member's brains, so let's see some of it. There's more than enough different sections to post more or less anything you know, so please, I ask you to put finger to keyboard and start posting something.

I and the above mentioned stalwarts have put an enormous amount of work into creating the forum for the benefit of the members, but we are running out of ideas for topics. I don't want to see the forum just die, but if you...yes, YOU, that man sitting there reading this...if you don't use it, then die it will.

One expression springs to mind, and that is: "use it...or lose it". The choice is yours...

Richard(ADMIN)

(Apologies chaps, it seems that when I originally posted this I inadvertently locked it. It's now unlocked, so please feel free to add your comments. Thanks all..)
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

The Forum. Empty Re: The Forum.

Post  tattooed Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:01 pm

I for one know how much work you put into the forum mate and all i can say is a big thankyou for all you hard work , i log in every day but must admit my reason for not posting is i don't think my work is up to the high standards that we have on here .
    As for saying the forum will die rich by the number of members i would say its growing (just look at other forums)and when i get the biber on the building board then i'll be posting away and picking your brains so once again rich thanks for all your hard work mate
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:11 pm

Andy...I am speechless. Your work is awesome, you only have to look at that trawler, that was amazing, mate. Remember that little exhaust vent you made for me, the one with that tiny cap on the tip...I couldn't even see to build like that!

We do have an increasing membership list, it's true...but we don't get any posts from them. A forum is nothing without topics for people to read...the more there is for them to read, the more chances there are of replies being posted.

I'm looking forward to you getting the Biber started, I know the standard of work you'll put into it will be high, and that will spur me on to raise my game when the Permit arrives.

Thanks mate...
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:22 pm

Raise your game oh come on Rich i just hope that with the nights drawing in that people will get there builds back on track, so come on guys give Rich a helping hand and most of all enjoy the forum
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  salmon Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:11 pm

Rich,
    I apologize for not posting. My reason is not that I do not like your site. I do. It is not that I do not want to participate, because I will. It is the way images are uploaded or not. I do not like 3rd party photo hosting for several reasons (it is interesting to me, I just had this discussion with someone else recently). One is the smut and sensuality promoted or used for adds on the hosting site, I am a prude (and proud of it! LOL) and I do not want my son exposed to that. If someone knows of a site that does not include all the garbage please post! Second, some of the hosting sites prune photos if it is not accessed for a length of time or a user can just decide to close or delete their account. Those photos then disappear and postings do not make sense with out them or knowledge and reference material is lost.
    So, that is why I do not post my builds on sites that require me to use those hosting sites. Can you forgive me?

AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:23 pm

Tom, I fully understand your reasons for not posting pictures, you are strong to your beliefs and long may you continue to be so.

I will do my best to find a way for you to host your own pictures independently of any image hosting site, I'm sure that there is a way of doing it, I just have to find out how to do it. Leave it with me Tom, I'll track the method down.

nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:51 pm

Now there's a novelty Richard speechless,are you sure you don't mean legless????
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:32 pm

Mutter mutter

Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:06 am

Maybe this forum needs some new Youngblood recruits ?
    Has anyone thought about displaying submarines at the annual Maker's Fair and other engineering exhibits ?
    Also having exhibits at some of the schools and colleges might bring new hobbyists into the forum.

Kind regards,
    Giovanni
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:34 am

The forum has an excellent membership list, Giovanni....306 registered users as of this minute, which for a niche hobby is pretty good, I reckon. The problem is getting those members to post up topics on the forum. I don't mean the odd 'how do I do this' question, or an item for sale, but topics of interest to the readers, on both model and full sized submarines.

As I said originally, some of our members have a huge amount of submarine related knowledge stored away...that's the sort of thing that we could do with on the forum.

Richard(ADMIN)
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:51 am

Hopefully they will pass on some of the secrets of submarines before they pass on to the other world.
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:19 am

Well, that's not exactly what I had in mind, but...
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Sat Oct 27, 2012 4:19 pm

i think one of the problems rich is that alot of model submariners are old school and maybe they think that the younger members wouldn't want to here what they know but i for one am always willing to learn from someone who knows more than me as my dad use to say look,listen and learn and your never to old to learn
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Oct 27, 2012 8:35 pm

That's very true mate, I listened and learned from one of the greats in our hobby, the late Bernie Wood...he taught me so much about model subs, but I'm still learning. I learn from you, and you're only a young sprog...
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:49 pm

young sprog thanks mate but at least i can learn from you mate so keep the phone close at hand
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:27 pm

HI ALL
    Richard has said that posts being put up on the forum are low regarding articles, this is my own personal view i have put articles up under electronics and so on yet people have not come back showing any interest or that is the way it seems if i feel like that then how many others feel the same way may be it is because people do not won't to get in to the electronic side of things but i am sorry to say to go further then that's the way it has got to go other wise we will be stuck using servos and micro switches to operate submarines for the next 100 years. Some one has said that a lot of us are getting on in years i my self at 57 years old still keep up with the times and move forward not back, you can not pass this information on to others if they are not going to ask and i am not saying i know every thing i am still learning my self
    SUB JOHN
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sun Oct 28, 2012 5:56 pm

A couple of very good points there, John..I see the problem of that apart from or two gifted members, you are far, far ahead of everybody else in your knowledge of electronics. Personally, I haven't got a clue as to what you talk about, it all goes straight over my head. Maybe David and Nigel manage to keep up, but the likes of me...I'm totally lost. I read some of your stuff, I really struggle to comprehend the very basics of it...but that in itself is a good thing, I think...it makes people try to understand your writings. I try, I struggle, but I try to make sense of it all. My knowledge of electronics stops at the good old 'servo and microswitch', but I do try to keep up.

There are those who do understand what you write, I often hear from people who take a deep interest in your posts, so keep on writing them John, if you will.
    tattooed
    tattooed
    AMS member

Post  tattooed Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:03 pm

john i must admit that every post you've put up i've read and really enjoyed but do i understand it i'm sorry to say i don't , i'll be the first to admit that electronics are the way forward and at some point i like many others will have to grasp the concept so please keep the post coming as little by little it's sinking into my thick head , but it is good to know that there are people like yourself that if i or anyone else needs to ask a question on electrics then you could point us in the right direction
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:41 pm

What I do not understand, a quick Google search will give me the information.
    Thank you for the electronics knowledge John
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sun Oct 28, 2012 7:46 pm

I wouldn't worry too much

- We do have quiet times on the forum. People are busy at the moment (me included). Things will pick up towards Christmas.

- We REALLY DO NEED to fix the picture posting problem. As Treasurer could I say that we should and could spend some money on this.

- Looking longer term it is worrying that most of our forum members are very passive - viewing rather than posting. I wonder if it is lack of confidence? Sometimes I don't feel I want to post my own , often rather amateurish attempts at submarine building (I am not Engel etc.) We need to offer more encouragement for people to post what they are actually up to.

- John is dead right about electronics (the response to our work on piston tank controllers has been underwhelming.) I suppose we have to recognise that electronics is a bit of a black art amongst submariners. While I am having a rant could I say that I am personally P****d off that I still see submariners sailing subs without Pingers on board. A few quids worth of electronics could save your sub! I often feel I have tried and failed to move our hobby on.

David
    Giovanni LiCalsi
    Giovanni LiCalsi

The Forum. Empty Electronics

Post  Giovanni LiCalsi Sun Oct 28, 2012 8:17 pm

I always use www.photobucket.com with excellent results and it saves file space on this forum.
    The Photobucket account is free and very easy to set up and use. When a forum is used for posting photos through its own server, it enlarges its server files to the point of the forum outgrowing its server. This will incur much more expense.
    It seems like most submarine modelers have the skill for either building the hull, the electronics or the mechanical part and do not possess all of these skills. Fortunately the skills and knowledge are to be found here on this forum and hopefully can be shared by everyone.

Kind regards,
    Giovanni

The Forum. ComputerGraphicOfUSSHolland
    johnrobinson
    johnrobinson

Post  johnrobinson Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:31 pm

HI Richard and tattooed and not for getting David
    Nice to hear that you find the posts interesting it is hard to try to keep it simple and try to get the point over that you are trying to make some times, i can understand some people not grasping some of the ideas when RF is involved as that can be a bit like A black art and hard for people to get there heads around, i suppose for myself it comes quite easy with me working in RF for quite a few years.

David said that he was a bit disappointed in the responce to piston tank controller unit i can not understand why people can not see the benefits of using piston tank controller unit as it is the best thing to use for control of a piston tank could it be David that people are worried about having to making it up for them self's but at one point we did talk about making up PCB BOARDS and selling as a working board.

What do you think about me doing some posts of electronic circuits to use in model subs or do you think people would just switch off of course would try to make it simple so a lot of people would be able to make them up for them self's. I phoned Nigel up today and asked him what he thought and he said it might be a good idea has any body else got any comments or ideas what might help the forum

SUB JOHN

salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  salmon Mon Oct 29, 2012 7:53 pm

John,
    I enjoy your posts. Like many, I do not understand it all, but I have hacked together electronics before.
    I would be very interested in learning more about electronics used in our subs.
    Please, PLEASE, do this....excuse me I lost my composure in the middle of my begging :-)
    Peace,
    Tom

Last edited by salmon on Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:01 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : fat fingers)

AMS member

Post  tattooed Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:30 pm

i think thats a great idea john it'll be good to see how a master of the black arts does it
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 am

Gentlemen...I thank you for all your comments about the forum, I found them very illuminating.

John, please keep posting articles using your electronic knowledge, those of us who don't understand can ask you for more information. Maybe some easy to follow stuff to begin with...basic BEC circuitry, pump switchers, remote on/off switches, that sort of thing.

On the subject of posting images on the forum...I've checked and double checked the image hosting software, and it works perfectly every time, so I don't understand why some of you are having problems.

You can always use PhotoBucket to host your images, then just copy/paste the image link into your post, that's a nice easy way to achieve pictures in your posts. PhotoBucket is free to use, just upload your images to your account.
    David, if you could give that a try and let me know how you get on, please?

Thank you again chaps...keep the comments coming.

Richard(ADMIN)

Current date/time is Mon May 20, 2024 12:56 pm