The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
O rings... EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
O rings... EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
O rings... EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
O rings... EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
O rings... EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
O rings... EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
O rings... EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
O rings... EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
O rings... EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12452 messages in 1983 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

2 posters

O rings...

Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

O rings... Empty O rings...

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:11 pm

This interesting discussion was started by Roger on the Facebook page, so I've copied and pasted it here for information. I learned a lot from reading this...hope you guys can as well.

Roger Flaherty.
    Hi guys, want to lubricate a very small 'o' ring seal on a 1/16 dia push rod and can't remember which lubricant to use. Seem to remember one type can damage 'o' ring. Polite advice please!

David Forrest.
    Hi Rog, I think it is silicone grease not vaseline, that you are thinking of!

Steve Juden.
    Def silicone grease, do not get them confused else it will be a pain..

Ramesh Wheelerdealer.
    Depends on your o rings. If you have silicone o rings, you dont want to get get Silicone grease anywhere near them. Silicone grease is good at keeping nitile and other rubber o rings supple. Vaseline is good for 'packing' to make something water tight, but can degrade some types of rubber. If you want something to lubricate a o ring sealing a rotating shaft then there are better propriatory lubricants.

Roger Flaherty.
    Many thanks to all. My latest boat has a tube which is 36mm ID and the two end caps are a tight push fit and I would like to lubricate the 'o'rings to make putting them in and taking out easier. The 'o'rings are black and are designed to fit around a domestic plug. The smaller rings which fit around the push rods are also black. My problem is that with the tube all assenbled I'm getting a small amount of water inside. When I imurse the tube there are no signs of any air bubbles at all and yet I have this ingress. I'm thinking that this may be the air in the tube contracting when placed in cold tap water, pulling vacuum, and drawing the water in as it's volume decreases. If this is the case then it's probably coming in via the push rods and a 'little something' may deter this. Any thoughts?

Richard J Huggett.
    How do you tell the various O rings apart, Ramesh? Is there an easy way to differentiate between the different sorts?

Richard J Huggett.
    Roger, is there a way you can connect a tube to the cylinder and blow a puff of air inside it whilst it's underwater, then look for the tell tale bubbles of escaping air? Much like mending a puncture in your bike's inner tube where we were kids...

Ramesh Wheelerdealer.
    Rich, there is probably some technical way to tell them apart, but Silicone orings tend to be clear or red. Nitrile tends to be black. Silicone is much softer and has less resistance to tearing. Silicone has much better resistance to high and low temperatures, resistance to Chlorine and hence tend to be used in Suba gear and masks, waterproof camera housings, medical and food industries.

Nigel Edmonds.
    Silicone seals are normally red and have the texture of chewing gum they are very delicate,I use them in my piston tanks they are much more forgiving on ripply tube and work well on standard acrilic tube, but get the tolerances wrong and you will rip chunks out of them,they must not be lubricated with silicone grease as it attacks them,as anyone who has run silicone oil through silicone tube will tell you.

Nigel Edmonds.
    Normal black seals are degraded by pretty much everything including sunlight and water,the trick is to change them on a regular bassis,I have always used halfords general purpose grease on them on both boats and machine tools and have never seen any ill affects from it.

Richard J Huggett.
    Thanks for the explanations guys, guess mine are nitrile O rings, so at least I know what to lubricate them with now.

(original postings have been tidied up and Facebook's additions removed)
    Richard(ADMIN)

O rings... Empty Re: O rings...

Post  Guest Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:59 pm

Last edited by Poolruns on Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

O rings... Empty Re: O rings...

Post  david f Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:29 am

I must say that's an excellent reply.

Current date/time is Fri May 10, 2024 12:31 pm