The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12452 messages in 1983 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

Similar topics

+4
    SimonH
    maxx78
    Tom(ADMIN)
    david f
    8 posters

Not the hobby I expected :)

geofrancis

Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 Empty Re: Not the hobby I expected :)

Post  geofrancis Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:12 pm

you can also use the rfm22b, it's the 100mw version of the module normally found in the receivers. they are usually a good bit cheaper. The 23bp is essentially the same module but with an amplifier.

I converted a few receivers to 1W long ago

Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 A6811864-59-DSCF4124
      cat
      cat

Post  cat Sat Jul 08, 2023 7:30 pm

Just like your last photo is table focussed, apparently my soldering wick is more important than my subject :)

Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 53032282240_b996efb063_z

radio board came off easily enough, but I have not had a sniff of life out of this thing.
      I've been trying to flash it, or burn a new bootloader to it but I can't get anything out of the arduino :/

I was real excited about having a 'spare' radio, and feel pretty silly that I've probably nerfed it in several ways already.
      geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:11 pm

I have some openlrs hardware here that im not planning on using again if you want it. there is one receiver and one 1w radio module that works and will already be bound. There is another receiver , 1w module and a 100mw module but im unsure of their condition there are no leds when power is applied. you can have the lot for £20.Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 20230716

cat likes this post

cat
      cat

Post  cat Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:57 pm

Yes please!

How can I get money to you?

Thanks very much.

david f likes this post

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Sun Jul 09, 2023 5:59 pm

cat wrote:Yes please!

How can I get money to you?

Thanks very much.

il pm you

david f likes this post

cat
      cat

Post  cat Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:48 pm

My arduino nanos arrived and so did the SI4432s.

I've glued them together, I'm SURE the wires are in the correct holes.

I've used the arduino ide to update both my Tx and newly built Rx to the same version of openlrsng (3.8.8)

If I flash the rx as a tx I can connect to it and see the spectrum analyser working fine, it does sulk about a CRC though if I tell it to look for another Rx.

I've made sure the REAL Tx is capable of binding, and it grabs a 'real' Rx instantly. but neither of my Tx modules are finding this newly build junk to bind to, welp.

I'm not asking for debug advice although I wouldn't mind any, I'm more logging my journey and crying into the internet.

david f likes this post

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Tue Jul 11, 2023 7:50 pm

I have never built the openlrs receivers from modules, I always used off the shelf parts. your module and receiver were posted today so you should have them before the weekend. they are running a custom version of openlrsng so they will need flashed before it will connect to any of your other receivers.

its the receiver and module with the white plastic on them that work.

david f and cat like this post

tsenecal

Post  tsenecal Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:25 pm

I might be able to scrounge up some openlrsng hobbyking and DTF UHF hardware as well. I am no longer using it, so its free to anyone that wants it.

i have some 4 channel DTF receivers, some JR style transmitter modules, and a couple futaba style hobbyking modules. I also have a bunch of hobbyking receivers.

let me sort through the stuff i have and get an inventory.

david f likes this post

cat
      cat

Post  cat Tue Jul 11, 2023 8:54 pm

Well, unexpectedly I think it bound up to one of my Tx's certainly the binding message has gone from the serial and if i turn the Rx off the Tx does a steady tone which is what it does with real Rxs

Reading the openlrs code it seems that I don't JUST get ppm off the Rx either, it sends out PWM from several pins, so if I rig up some 5v mess to power some servos I can try feeding them data off these pins and see what happens.

I can't get it to UNBIND of course, or bind to anything else, even flashing it again doesn't get it back to an unbound state, it must be storing the bind data in some memory that doesn't get flashed :/ more learning to do.

Still, another evening saved from the 'wasted' pile and slid into the 'hmmm, if I had a clue, I could achieve' pile.

I am interested in your inventory as a hoarder of antique confusion.

Thanks for reading my apparently rambly blog. ONE of these days my WTC will sink in the bath, under some kind of control. heh.

david f and geofrancis like this post

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Wed Jul 12, 2023 1:32 am

cat wrote:Well, unexpectedly I think it bound up to one of my Tx's certainly the binding message has gone from the serial and if i turn the Rx off the Tx does a steady tone which is what it does with real Rxs

Reading the openlrs code it seems that I don't JUST get ppm off the Rx either, it sends out PWM from several pins, so if I rig up some 5v mess to power some servos I can try feeding them data off these pins and see what happens.

I can't get it to UNBIND of course, or bind to anything else, even flashing it again doesn't get it back to an unbound state, it must be storing the bind data in some memory that doesn't get flashed :/ more learning to do.

Still, another evening saved from the 'wasted' pile and slid into the 'hmmm, if I had a clue, I could achieve' pile.

I am interested in your inventory as a hoarder of antique confusion.

Thanks for reading my apparently rambly blog. ONE of these days my WTC will sink in the bath, under some kind of control. heh.

I belive there is a pin you short to ground to put the receiver into bind mode possibly rssi or ch3 but i can't remember what one as its been a while.  you can also enable always bind on startup in the receiver settings.

can you access the bound diy receivers configuration settings using the configurator?

david f likes this post

david f
      david f
      AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Jul 12, 2023 8:28 am

Sorry I can't help with the technology (my knowledge of openLRS is getting very "cob-webby") but can I just say how much I appreciate the dry-wit! Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 1f600

David

cat likes this post

tsenecal

Post  tsenecal Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:45 pm

Here is a picture of the entire inventory

Not the hobby I expected :) - Page 3 Openlr10

the dtf uhf receiver on the right is a 1 watt receiver, rest are 100mw, the "brotronics" are 4 channel, the OrangeRX (hobbyking) are 9 channel.

all the receivers and transmitters have had pins added to allow for programming with an ftdi/usb adapter. all were configured using the openlrsng configurator.

none of these have been used since 2017, so i have no idea what state they are in.

cat
      cat

Post  cat Wed Jul 12, 2023 3:54 pm

How does first come first served work here? I am interested in anything that will plug into a turnigy 9xr. I don’t want to be greedy. This is a community.
      tsenecal

Post  tsenecal Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:17 pm

Cat,

so far you are the only one that has asked.   you can have anything and everything you want.

basically, the rest of us have moved on to other endeavors. I am now firmly entrenched in the 900mhz stuff.

I forgot to add, the LCD display on the hawkeye transmitter module will work with all of the transmitter modules, and i also have some FrSky D series sensor hubs that you can have that will work with the OpenLRSng receivers, to get you telemetry data beyond the basic rssi and rxbatt.

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:26 pm

is it the 9xr or 9xr pro you have?

I wrote a guide on how to modify 9xr radios for mavlink openlrs telemetry a while back, the wiring should be the same but you dont need the custom firmware as your not using mavlink, just use regular opentx and set it to frsky D.

https://flyingforfun.weebly.com/open-lrs.html

Last edited by geofrancis on Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:29 pm; edited 2 times in total
      cat
      cat

Post  cat Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:27 pm

geofrancis wrote:is it the 9xr or 9xr pro you have?

I wrote a guide on how to modify 9xr radios for mavlink openlrs telemetry a while back, the wiring should be the same but you dont need the custom firmware as your not using mavlink, just use regular opentx and set it to frsky D.

purely on the strength that i can't see 'pro' written on it anywhere on it i think it's just a 9xr
      geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Wed Jul 12, 2023 4:32 pm

cat wrote:
      geofrancis wrote:is it the 9xr or 9xr pro you have?

purely on the strength that i can't see 'pro' written on it anywhere on it i think it's just a 9xr

The 9xr is a clone of the flysky  9x FS-TH9X so pretty much any guides you can find for it will work for your 9xr. the only real weakness of the 9xr is the gimbal pots are really not great and are prone to drift.

you can also use an arduino connected to the trainer ports to add more switches and knobs, i added a joystick from the a PS2 pad to the back of mine

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2054642-DIY-arduino-co-processor-turnigy-9x-8-extra-channels-for-5

9xr frsky telemetry modifications, basically the same as what you need for the openlrs module in frsky D mode.

https://flyingforfun.weebly.com/turnigy-9xr.html
      tsenecal

Post  tsenecal Wed Jul 12, 2023 5:43 pm

That reminds me...

I have two of the Turnigy 9x that have both the telemetry mod, and upgraded ar9x motherboards...  anyone that wants those can have them as well.

and just for the record:

9x != 9xr

cat
      cat

Post  cat Wed Jul 12, 2023 6:05 pm

sob, send me everything (unless other people want stuff). I just want to play with things that work.

I have one working radio module pair.

the other pair refuses to bind up.
      the 'bad' tx will bind to the 'good' rx
      the 'good' tx will bind to the 'bad' tx

This suggests it all CAN work, it just declines in this particular configuration. Such. Fun.

I'm not going to dismantle the working set, because it works and that's what I'm relying on for my sub for now.

I think I'm going to build up the other DIY rx and see if that behaves identically or there's some 'weirdness' on the one I've built.
      cat
      cat

Post  cat Sat Jul 15, 2023 4:46 pm

Some small progress, this is a servo welded to A0 on the arduino:

So I'm nearly catching up to where you kids were in your epic thread on this subject in 2020

I'm struggling a bit with Rx hang! messages and the tx panic beeping; so still stuff to figure out.

I'm sure A0 is turning out as CH5 which is unexpected, i thought it would be channel 2 :/

Certainly that switch is ch5 in my Tx.
      cat
      cat

Post  cat Sun Jul 16, 2023 6:58 pm

Woohoo. It’s been a nervous journey. The tx and rx in the white plastics would talk to me over serial and admit they ran 3.5 of openrls but they refused to upgrade, and at that version won’t talk to the configuration. I tried a million trillion things to no avail until I bit the bullet and slammed a hex file straight into their brains over spi with avrdude.
      This seemed to null brain the to factory something idk. I got the hex file out of the openlrs github, lol.

After that they both flashed with the configurator and I can see both tx and rx in the relevant tabs, change all the doodles and whatnot, and I’ve even stuffed it into my transmitter and achieved wiggling a servo.

Looks like I have two 458MHz radios!

Next project: making better length antennas for them. What are the sma connector thingies called that you can solder wire into?

Thanks for everything you lot have put into this forum. There’s so much great info to draw from.

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Sun Jul 16, 2023 7:20 pm

cat wrote:Woohoo. It’s been a nervous journey. The tx and rx in the white plastics would talk to me over serial and admit they ran 3.5 of openrls but they refused to upgrade, and at that version won’t talk to the configuration. I tried a million trillion things to no avail until I bit the bullet and slammed a hex file straight into their brains over spi with avrdude.
      This seemed to null brain the to factory something idk. I got the hex file out of the openlrs github, lol.

After that they both flashed with the configurator and I can see both tx and rx in the relevant tabs, change all the doodles and whatnot, and I’ve even stuffed it into my transmitter and achieved wiggling a servo.

Looks like I have two 458MHz radios!

Next project: making better length antennas for them. What are the sma connector thingies called that you can solder wire into?

Thanks for everything you lot have put into this forum. There’s so much great info to draw from.

I think I flashed them with spi, I used to have a chip programmer that went directly over the 328 chip, because it's flashed with spi there wont be a bootloader so you cant flash with serial until you flashed the bootloader again over spi.

just to be clear, you dont actually need the configurator, every setting it can change can also be done from the CLI. I preferred the CLI as I could access it over bluetooth from my phone.

Last edited by geofrancis on Mon Jul 17, 2023 12:20 am; edited 1 time in total

cat likes this post

cat
      cat

Post  cat Sun Jul 16, 2023 9:08 pm

Yeh, I’ve been in the config menus through serial but I’ve struggled with the proving the rx is bound and editing settings bit.

At some point I will look at a block diagram of an Arduino and try to understand what a boot loader is where the flash and what the bootstrap and 1st register or whatever is. It’s just magic atm, do the correct invocation and a result emerges.

I got another of the txs working but the second receiver yet evades, the leds don’t do anything and isp also says ‘no’ thus far.

I’m happy with results thus far and very grateful to you for passing the hardware along :)

cat
      cat

Post  cat Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:12 pm

I have been pondering the second receiver from the bag of joy. Avrdude is very cross with it. Can’t detect it, no sck etc. I have been cleaning around all the pins and reflowing anything suspect checking for shorts etc.
      I noticed under magnification, gosh eyes go off fast! That the X1 crystal is missing its little metal lid!
      I am getting a hot air rework thingy as I have a gate array to replace on a speccy and it might be fun to swap out the xtal or/and the 328p to see if I can poke this back to life.

Experiments in smd continue.

geofrancis likes this post

geofrancis

Post  geofrancis Wed Jul 19, 2023 5:34 pm

cat wrote:I have been pondering the second receiver from the bag of joy. Avrdude is very cross with it. Can’t detect it, no sck etc. I have been cleaning around all the pins and reflowing anything suspect checking for shorts etc.
      I noticed under magnification, gosh eyes go off fast! That the X1 crystal is missing its little metal lid!
      I am getting a hot air rework thingy as I have a gate array to replace on a speccy and it might be fun to swap out the xtal or/and the 328p to see if I can poke this back to life.

Experiments in smd continue.

it's been that long that i cant remember at all what happened to it. but if it was in the dead pile that usually means some kind of overvoltage event so i wouldn't be surprised if the 328 is dead.