The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Prop RPM Help Requested EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12452 messages in 1983 subjects

We have 1011 registered users

The newest registered user is stig58

3 posters

Prop RPM Help Requested

BuxtonRob

Prop RPM Help Requested Empty Prop RPM Help Requested

Post  BuxtonRob Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:59 pm

I am attempting to convert a Revell Type IX U Boat to RC.

I have a 385 brushed motor and a (handed) pair of Raboesch 25mm diameter 3 blade props.

What rpm range should I be looking for for the props? I assume i will need a reduction gearbox (from max 11,000 according to the motor box). So what reduction ratio do I need?

Thanks for any advice.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Prop RPM Help Requested Empty Re: Prop RPM Help Requested

Post  david f Thu Jan 18, 2018 9:54 am

I always like to have 2:1 to 3:1 reduction in motors. (It limits current draw and is generally best if your props have the (usual) coarse pitch.

Others would disagree with this particularly when brushless motors are used. (i.e they use direct drive.)

Have you had a look at MFA como motors and gearboxes? A very good range and good service and they save a lot of grief doing gearboxes:

https://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t1400-mfa-como-drillls-motorsgearboxes-and-belt-drives?highlight=motors

You also ask about gearboxes out in the water. I have never tried this but I think that David Merriman and Norbert Bruggen offer them. Seems like a good idea.
    BuxtonRob

Post  BuxtonRob Thu Jan 18, 2018 11:32 am

Thanks very much for that. I think it will be the MFA 2.5:1 geared 385 motor in the WTC and just the 1:1 drive to twin shafts from the single motor output in the wet area.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:57 pm

That should be fine. Without having done it, I would think that the wet 1:1 drive will be OK. (Slower running so not too much water turbulence & friction)

Using MFA gearboxes means that you can change ratios fairly easily too. Nigel has a post on here also about incorporating a shaft seal into the gearbox. (I haven't tried it.)

About a 3D printed O ring fit - I don't know either. I'm old school (lathe!). Tim G is exploring this technology.

There are some very good tips here on sliding O ring fit (one from John Redearth particularly.):

https://www.theassociationofmodelsubmariners.com/t537p125-piston-ballast-systems?highlight=piston+tanks

Andy L has a video on lathe machining WTC caps somewhere. Post on the Dive-In Facebook site and he will let you know, I'm sure.

David

BuxtonRob

Post  BuxtonRob Thu Jan 18, 2018 6:48 pm

I have achieved a 'close sliding fit' for a 3d printed end cap, after some trial and error, and now have a version with an O ring fitted which looks as though it is compressing uniformly all round. I have come close to the 85% groove depth by blind chance.

I haven't tested for actual watertightness yet as my 'trial fit' end caps were printed as hollow, to save filament until a reasonable fit looks OK. Of course, now I have run out of the filament I used so need to order some more.

Don't have a lathe or the skills to use one, so 3D printing it is.
    tsenecal

Post  tsenecal Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:49 pm

BuxtonRob wrote:I have achieved a 'close sliding fit' for a 3d printed end cap, after some trial and error, and now have a version with an O ring fitted which looks as though it is compressing uniformly all round. I have come close to the 85% groove depth by blind chance.

I haven't tested for actual watertightness yet as my 'trial fit' end caps were printed as hollow, to save filament until a reasonable fit looks OK. Of course, now I have run out of the filament I used so need to order some more.

Don't have a lathe or the skills to use one, so 3D printing it is.

one suggestion i would make is to print using a higher temp filament than PLA... you don't say which type of filament you are using, but PLA's glass temp is too low for my comfort...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTswoDnxYHs

i have switched to PETG as the filament i use for anything that is going to be used directly. for items that will become masters for molds, i will use PLA.
    BuxtonRob

Post  BuxtonRob Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:28 pm

Using ASA for this. Can be acetone smoothed (which should give a watertight skin) and can be glued with polystyrene cement, so can be glued to the kit parts as necessary.

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 6:14 am