The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
Steve Juden EmptyYesterday at 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Steve Juden EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
Steve Juden EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Steve Juden EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Steve Juden EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Steve Juden EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Steve Juden EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Steve Juden EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Steve Juden EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12452 messages in 1983 subjects

We have 1010 registered users

The newest registered user is Chris Shelley

+2
Tom(ADMIN)
U441
6 posters

Steve Juden

U441
    U441

Steve Juden Empty Steve Juden

Post  U441 Sat Mar 19, 2016 3:40 pm

Just to let you know that Steve Juden sadly passed away last night.

My thoughts and condolences are with Jean and his family.

RIP Steve...

Richard
    Tom(ADMIN)
    AMS Forum Owner

Steve Juden Empty Re: Steve Juden

Post  Tom(ADMIN) Sat Mar 19, 2016 6:15 pm

That is really sad news. My prayers go out to his family and friends that are grieving right now.
    Thank you for letting us know.
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    nigele(ADMIN)2
    AMS Chairman

Post  nigele(ADMIN)2 Wed Mar 23, 2016 12:19 am

It was with great sadness that I learned of the sudden and unexpected  passing of Steve Juden, his knowledge of all things submarine was truly remarkable,as was his sense of humour, Steve was editor  of the AMS magazine when I first joined the association many years ago and was well known for his cartoon's and articles ,both within the association and in the general press,he was responsible for the submarine hand book which is still widely used,he also wrote the first chapter of the traplet publication simply submarines.
    In recent years He suffered health issues which kept him away from many events,but he still put in the occasional appearance when he was able.
    When Steve lived in London he used to get about on a little motor scooter,and I remember being in fits of laughter when he described to me how he would take his six foot LA down to regents park for a sail, he use to tie it to the seat and sit on it,the image that came into my mind is still there to this day and would require therapy to remove it.
    On another occasion we where at a show can't remember where but I was watching Steve sailing his LA and I noticed he was towing something so I got nearer to the boat and saw that it was a small plastic frog,so I walked over to him and asked him why was he towing a frog,he looked at me and said it's not a frog it's a toad, I said to Him I don't get it!, he looked at me like I was an idiot sighed and said have you never heard of a towed array!!.
    He was a remarkable man and a good friend.
    I and many other will morn his passing,but treasure the memories he has left behind.
    My thoughts and condolences go out to Jean and his family.
    Nigel E

Last edited by nigele(ADMIN)2 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 am; edited 1 time in total
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  salmon Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:14 am

I did not get a chance to meet Steve. I only knew of him from the articles he had written and the cartoons as you mentioned. Your story of the towed array made me laugh and miss him more that our paths will not cross.

AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:19 pm

I think that I will remember Steve through his writing and his nice sense of humour.

Pulling some books out my "submarine" bookshelf  I notice things like "Simply Model Submarines " (He wrote the first 2 chapters.) The chapter on the History of Submarines is particularly good.

His knowledge of submarines was phenomenal.

Last year at Norwich he was the only person there to correctly identify my Russian Nordenfelt even down to knowing that it incorporated a modification made by Garrett at Southampton!

I thought I would share some of his writing from the AMS magazine. (Thanks Tom for the latest transcript of the magazine archive.)

It shows his sense of humour and his drawing skills. The funny little cartoon is a self portrait!

The Navy Day article shows another facet of Steve. He always seemed to be on the "inside" somehow and he travelled very widely in search of submarines. (His holidays seemed to be planned with this in mind!)

And his humour. Latterly on Facebook. His last nice little joke which he posted just before entering hospital had this household reeling!

So sorry he has gone and my thoughts are with his family.

Steve Juden 312

Steve Juden 412

Steve Juden 1012

Steve Juden 1112
    David Austin
    AMS member

Steve Juden Empty Steve Juden

Post  David Austin Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:25 am

Have not visited the site for a few weeks so only just heard of Steve's death. I spent many a happy hour with Steve so it was with great sadness to hear he had died. My thoughts and wishes are with Jean.

David Austin

Current date/time is Wed May 08, 2024 4:43 am