The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» No reverse on Brushless ESC
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptyTue May 07, 2024 3:26 pm by geofrancis

» Peral Submarine of 1888
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptyMon May 06, 2024 11:16 am by david f

» Newbie needs advice!
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptyFri Apr 26, 2024 1:58 pm by david f

» Modulated electric fields for submarine communication in a "heads up" from Harry!
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptySun Apr 21, 2024 6:09 am by geofrancis

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptyWed Apr 10, 2024 5:48 am by tsenecal

» Laser cut Robbe U47 conversion
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptyTue Apr 09, 2024 3:40 pm by david f

» ExpressLRS - 868/915 Mhz equipment
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptyTue Apr 02, 2024 3:27 pm by tsenecal

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12452 messages in 1983 subjects

We have 1011 registered users

The newest registered user is stig58

2 posters

Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic Empty Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic

Post  david f Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:43 pm

I am just putting the components away for something I was trying with the original Darnell XXI. I originally needed to send a servo signal through a clear, flat plastic hatch. I dropped the idea later as you will see in the Darnell XXI thread.

But the method I tried worked well and was very simple.

The sender unit (connected to the receiver) was just an Infrared LED with a 30 ohm resistor in series (just to limit the current. The receiver unit (connected to the servo) was a photodiode with a 1 megohm resistor in series. (The LED and photodiode were a matched pair but I can't remember where I bought them from. Ebay probably.)

The early trials were surprisingly successful with the signal being happily beamed through several mm of plastic or even water.

If you used a separate 5v supply at the receiver end then that is just one wire to transmit a servo signal.

David

salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic Empty Re: Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic

Post  salmon Sun Jul 06, 2014 7:35 pm

Is that all it took was a resistor connected directly to the infrared led? No complicated circuits? Am misunderstanding?
    Thank you for posting this! Makes the brain work.

AMS Treasurer

Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic Empty Re: Transmission of servo (pwm) signals through water and clear plastic

Post  david f Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:40 pm

Yes, it really is that simple. I've just connected it up again to remind myself.

One side of the photodiode (the side without a flat on it) is connected to +5v.
    The other side of the photodiode is connected to the white signal wire of the servo and one end of the 1 megohm resistor. The other side of the resistor goes to earth. (It's a pull-down resistor.)

To "connect" the signal wire you would just need to push the led and diode into the end of ,say, some silicone tube.

It should have wide application to model subs but, in my case, I bunged everything in a single WTC so the need for it disappeared!

It is not particularly original - I'd seen the idea somewhere on the web in connection with robotics perhaps as an "optoisolator". The real optoisolaters are no good to us because they are encapsulated in a single device.

David
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  salmon Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:01 pm

Thank you David! I have heard that running a servo a long distance from the receiver causes problem with interference. This might be good for keeping a servo in a remote location on the sub. Definitely something to play with!

AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:18 pm

Your comment has made me think of something else.
    Long servo leads can indeed give interference. I wonder if the light signal can go down a fibre optic cable?

David
    salmon
    salmon
    AMS Forum Owner

Post  salmon Tue Jul 08, 2014 12:29 am

Exactly what I was thinking!

Current date/time is Sat May 11, 2024 11:10 am