The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 4 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 4 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
PIC and Arduino microprocessors EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

+6
tsenecal
profesorul
John Wrennall
bwi
Harry.Brash
david f
10 posters

PIC and Arduino microprocessors

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

PIC and Arduino microprocessors Empty PIC and Arduino microprocessors

Post  david f Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:29 pm

I'm just starting this thread to see who may be interested. (Harry B for one.)
    PICs are very useful devices for R/C devices. They are small, cheap and can be easily programmed using an ordinary PC.

If you have done any progamming in the past (e.g Basic on a BBC computer)you can start to progam them in Assembler or now C.

If you look in the For Sale section you can buy some programmed PICs from the AMS on a "Have a go" basis for £5. Applications so far are level control, pump switching and piston tank control (using Hall effect sensors)and of course the Pinger.

Where to start? I learned everything through reading "Everday Practical Electronics" which was (and is) big on PICs

Last edited by david f on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

PIC and Arduino microprocessors Empty Re: PIC and Arduino microprocessors

Post  david f Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:44 am

Based on Harry's approval, I enclose a sample of PIC assembler code. It may seem a little off putting at first but assembler grows on you!

This is the code which measures the transmitter input pulse (stick movement if you like) and it incorporates a fail safe routine.

This routine is used in all my programs and is called up as a interrupt subroutine when the pulse first comes in.

**************************************************************************=

; INTERRUPT

; Measure input pulse and then output it

;**************************************************************************=

;* Measure transmitter input pulse, value in ip_pulse =

;* 0 = 864uS and 255 = 2139uS measured to the nearest 5uS =

; (With lost signal routine, taken from switcher program)

; Based on work by Ken Hewitt

;**************************************************************************

;INPUTS PORTA,pulse_ip

;OUTPUTS ip_pulse

meas_ip nop

clrf ip_pulse ;clear the file reg

;Load up counters(temp and temp1)

movlw D'216' ;was 216

movwf temp ;Load up temp counters

clrw

meas_1 nop ;Lost signal routine. If no input, increment lost signal counters

; INCF lostsig,1 ;Add 1 to lostsig - this section commented out to reduce loop time

; BCF STATUS,2

; movf lostsig,0

; sublw D'255' ;Timer minus 255

; btfsc STATUS,2 ;skip if clear

INCF lostsig1,1 ;clock countr div by 255

BCF STATUS,2

MOVF lostsig1,0 ;Copies lostsig1

sublw D'255' ;Timer minus 255

btfsc STATUS,2

INCF lostsig2,1 ;clock countr div by 255

BCF STATUS,2

MOVF lostsig2,0 ;Copies lostsig1

btfsc STATUS,2

goto fail_safe

btfss GPIO,pulse_ip ;wait for ip line to be low before doing anything, then continue

goto meas_1 ;

clrf lostsig ;If we've got to here, we have an input ,so clear lost sig counters

clrf lostsig1

clrf lostsig2

clrf lostsig3

clrf FLAGS

;Time incoming pulse. Wait 864 uS if pulse is <864 uS then error

TimeA2 nop

decfsz temp,1 ;loop 216*4uS = 864 uS

goto TimeA2

;Next test to ensure ip is still hi

btfss GPIO,pulse_ip

goto short_pulse

;Loop to meas input (first test at 1000 uS) this loop is 5uS long

;250*5 us = 1250us

Time_ip btfss GPIO,pulse_ip ;test the ip is still hi

goto end_ip ;go and test again

incfsz ip_pulse,1

goto Time_ip

goto max_pulse

;end of ip pulse

end_ip nop

;NO return with measured value in reg

goto out

max_pulse

movlw D'253' ;YES set reg to 253

movwf ip_pulse

goto out

short_pulse

movlw D'3' ;

movwf ip_pulse ;

goto out

fail_safe NOP ;Once all the lostsigy cntrs full, come here

MOVLW D'127' ;servo failsafe position, was 5

MOVWF ip_pulse

goto out

out nop

Harry.Brash

PIC and Arduino microprocessors Empty PIC Microcontrollers

Post  Harry.Brash Sat Apr 16, 2011 11:29 am

I've used a lot of different PICs over many years, from 8 pin PIC12 up. I've used assembler a lot but over recent years most of my programming has been in Microchip C18 for PIC18 devices. The Microchip development system is free as is the version of C18 which I use.

The only things you may need to purchase to get started are a PIC programmer of some sort, a PC with USB and some PICs. I currently use a Microchip PICKit 2 programmer which costs about £33 + VAT from Farnell (this includes a demo board with a PIC to get you going). This programmer works with Flash programmable PICs (most of the current devices) and is an 'in-circuit' programmer - you need to fit a 5 pin programming connector on any board you make. There are lots of suitable alternative programmers available.

I am building a Revell Gato with a friend and it will be run by a PIC18F4620. The program is still under development (and will probably always be!) but so far it reads in 6 channels (PWM) from the TX, scales and limits the servo outputs and then sends modified PWM pulses to the servos. The motor control is via the PIC's own PWM and a MOSFET bridge. The PIC will respond to 'emergencies' such as loss of RC signal and low battery by surfacing in a pre-programmed manner. It has ADC inputs for pressure transducers, battery voltage etc..

The choice between assembler and C is a personal one. I used to avoid C because I believed that high level languages must be slower in real time applications but I'm impressed with the efficiency of the C compiler. It is easy to check the speed in the development software and identify any timing problems before trying it on a real PIC.

David has included some assembler, so here is some C code for comparison.

// Use Timer 1 overflow to detect if radio link fails
    // At 20MHz PIC clock and 8 prescale, overflow takes about 105ms
    TMR1H = 0;
    TMR1L = 0;
    T1CONbits.TMR1ON = 1; // Start Timer 1 (to watch for loss of RC signal)
    // Enable interrupts
    INTCONbits.GIEH = 1;
    INTCONbits.PEIE = 1;

// get the pulse widths putting channels 1,2,4 and 6 in T_In[0-3]
    while (_Sync==0);
    while (_Sync==1);
    while (_Data == 0) // Get Channel 1 rudder 1.8us loop at 20MHz - 555 for 1ms
    {
    T_In[0]++;
    }
    while (_Data == 1) // Get Channel 2 bow
    {
    T_In[2]++;
    }
    while (_Data == 0) // Get Channel 3 speed
    {
    T_In[4]++;
    }
    while (_Data == 1) // Get Channel 4 pump
    {
    T_In[5]++;
    }
    while (_Data == 0) // Get Channel 5 occlude
    {
    T_In[3]++;
    }
    while (_Data == 1) // Get Channel 6 stern
    {
    T_In[1]++;
    }

There are two inputs from the receiver to the PIC and these are _Sync and _Data. I use the inverse of the first channel output pulse as _Sync and combine (with one CD4002 chip) all the servo outputs on an alternate +- basis to generate a serial data line _Data which has all the channel timing information in alternate ‘0’ and ‘1’ pulses.

The above code waits for _Sync line to be 0 (start of first servo pulse) then measures the times of the alternate 0s and 1s to get all the pulse widths.

The Futaba R147F which I am using gives no output when the radio signal disappears. That causes a Timer1 overflow and the interrupt sets everything to surface the boat (hopefully).

I will probably turn on the PIC watchdog timer to guard against PIC problems. If that causes a reset, it will also cause the boat to surface, as would a low battery condition.

I'd be happy to help anyone get started with PICs. They are great fun and there are plenty potential frustrations to keep up your interest!

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Apr 18, 2011 2:13 pm

I'm impressed with the C code, Harry.

Any teaching source for C you would recommend?

David
    Harry.Brash

PIC and Arduino microprocessors Empty Re PICs

Post  Harry.Brash Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:47 am

David, the version of C used in Microchip C18 is very close to the original C language, with some additions to handle the PIC hardware. It is not an object orientated language like C++ or C# which are more powerful but more complex.

There are lots of books and on-line tutorials available for C but probably the best introduction is to look at some relevant programs. Unlike assembler, C programs use a lot of recognisable words so it is immediately ‘readable’ to some extent.

If you download and install the free Microchip C18 compiler, there are examples included which you can look at and try.

There is also a lot of help provided by Microchip through the C18 documentation. The information on the libraries of functions is very helpful and there is immediate help available if you install the free Microchip development system.

Harry
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Apr 19, 2011 12:49 pm

Thanks for the tips on C.

I must admit I have a book on C++ vitually unopened on my bookshelf so I am pleased to know that C is more accessible.

The following is for anyone interested in the Assembler route. I cut my teeth on David Tait's excellent website which is still preserved (and still useful - I think.) See below:

http://www.nomad.ee/PIC/links.html

The best book I used to get me started is "An Introduction to PIC Microcontrollers " by R A Penfold published by Babani Electronics.
    The PIC mentioned are now obsolete but it is a good introduction and I still pick it up sometimes to look up one of the Assembler instructions (even though there are only 35!) I see it is for sale secondhand on Amazon at a wallet breaking £3.75!

For more modern sources I would recommend buying a copy of Everyday Practical Electronics and looking up some of the excellent tutorials on PICs available in there.

I too use the excellent Microchip PICKit2 programmer.

Thanks for sharing your approach, Harry.I will have a go at C.

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Fri May 27, 2011 1:21 pm

Hi Harry,
    I've just been looking for the C compiler option on the Microchip device website and the only "free" one listed seems to be for C18 PIC devices (I tend to use the cheap and simple 12F devices.)

Have I got this right - is the free one only available for the more sophisticated PICs??
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Tue Jun 07, 2011 9:51 am

Answering my own question - the High Tech C compilers work with 12F PICs and are free on the Microchip site as the "Lite" versions. The Quickstart description is good but so far I haven't even got the very small demo program to work in C. Why does nothing ever work first time?!
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:54 am

Progress so far.(And my code is working.)!
    The free Picclite compiler is optimised well for the useful little 12F629 PIC.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:18 pm

Well many thanks to Harry and his pm's but I've decided to go back to Assembler for the 12F pics!

I was hoping that C was going to be more universal than it appears to be. There are a lot of different C compilers out there many of which require a fair amount of money.

So I think I would recommend anyone starting out (particularly with the bigger PICs such as the 18F) to start with C. It is well (and cheaply) supported by Microchip.

I will carry on with Assembler for the smaller PICs and thanks to Harry for the advice.
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:06 pm

A very useful (Dutch but in English!) site on PIcs:

http://www.voti.nl/pic/index.html
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:55 am

PIC and Arduino microprocessors 16f88_10

Just showing a (not very high resolution, sorry!) photo of my winter PIC software project - using a 16F88 PIC to help optimise the existing software for the proportional piston tank controller.

The original software running on a 12F629 PIC  has worked well for several seasons on several subs but it needed adapting for individual piston tanks. ( I now have  a small and a large piston tank and I'm about to build a middle sized one.)

I am now using the debugger features of the 16F88 to optimise the piston control tank (maximise the water volume and get the best values for the proportional (P) and derivative(D) action. Once the software is optimised it can be programmed back on to the 12F629.

The photo shows the piston tank in the innards of a Charlie class sub. The separate board for the 16F88 is plugged into the standard H bridge control board. The PIC kit 3 programmer plugs into the 16F88 and then into my PC. I can run the piston tank from the PC, pause it and inspect values and change the code etc.

This is one of the reasons why I can't provide the AMS piston tank software any more - the software is specific to a particular tank configuration.

It would be nice to hear from anyone else out there who is into PIC or other microprocessors for submarine control.

David
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

PIC and Arduino microprocessors Empty Level control code

Post  david f Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:13 pm

Hi All,

I'm putting this up in assembler for any other amateur PIC enthusiasts who may be interested in something similar for PICs. It worked OK but I now use the Alf B and John R mod of the car level controller. Used last in 2010 and with a Freescale MMA7341L accelerometer. I'm sure that accelerometer technology has moved on since and the price will have dropped significantly!

David

;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;Submarine level control - using ADC input from accelerometer and stick input on one chip
    ;----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;File:Accel 6.asm
    ;(c) David Forrest
    ;Date of this revision:24/3/2010
    ;Prescaler for TMR0 set to 128. 64 time too short.
    ;30/3/2010 ADC and eeprom now working
    ;30/3/2010 servo input now working. Good progress!
    ;30/3/2010 Reference voltage tried for ADC but GP1 needed for programming?
    ;31/3/2010 Switchover at stick midpoint now working
    ;1/4/2010 Freescale MMA7341L now being used. AVE8 used.
    ;2/4/2010 This version now tried on Resurgam with Futaba 9C transmitter. Works very well
    ;6/4/2010 Max and Min put into Accel input
    ;25/4/2010 Now tested in Charlie 2 at Barrow.Works very well even at high speed.

; Configure

list      p=12f675       ; list directive to define processor
    #include <p12f675.inc>    ; processor specific variable definitions

__CONFIG  _CP_OFF & _WDT_OFF & _BODEN_ON & _PWRTE_ON & _INTRC_OSC_NOCLKOUT & _MCLRE_OFF & _CPD_OFF

radix dec
    errorlevel -302 ;Suppress banksel warnings

temp equ 0x20 ;File reg for temp storage
    op_pulse equ 0x21 ;File reg for out pulse value
    ip_pulse equ 0x22 ;File reg for transmitter input pulse value
    COUNTR equ 0x23
    COUNTR1 equ 0x24
    a_pulse equ 0x25 ;
    temp1 equ 0X26 ;servo movement increment
    flag1 equ 0x27 ;flag register
    temp2 equ 0x28
    left equ 0x29
    right equ 0x2A
    ahead equ 0x2B
    temp3 equ 0x2C
    GPIOT equ 0x2D
    medval equ 0x2E
    NEW equ 0x2F
    FLAGS equ 0x30
    AVE equ 0x31
    SPEED equ 0x32
    ;Storage for interrupt
    TMR0_T equ 0x33
    W_TEMP equ 0x34
    STATUS_SAVE equ 0x35
    GPIO_T equ 0x36
    ADHI equ 0x37 ;
    ADLO equ 0x38 ;
    a_pulse_T equ 0x39 ;
    op_pulse_T equ 0x3A ;
    STATUS_T equ 0x4D
    ;GPIO_T equ 0x51

AVFRAC equ 0x3B ;For AVE16 subroutine
    INPUT equ 0x3C ;For Top Tail
    MINIMUM equ 0x3D ;For Top Tail
    MAXIMUM equ 0x3E ;For Top Tail

;Lost signal registers
    lostsig EQU 0x3F ;lost signal loop counter
    lostsig1 EQU 0x40 ;lost signal loop counter
    lostsig2 EQU 0x41
    lostsig3 EQU 0x42 ;lost signal loop counter
    setreg EQU 0x43 ;set bit counter for bit stream
    clrreg EQU 0x44 ;clear bit counter for bit stream

TOCK EQU 0x45
    TOCK1 EQU 0x46
    TOCKCOP1 EQU 0x47
    FLAG EQU 0x48

POSITION EQU 0x49
    STORE1 EQU 0x4A ;EEprom storage
    EMPTSTOP EQU 0x4B ;Tank empty position
    FULLSTOP EQU 0x4C ;Tank full position

FLAG1 EQU 0x4E ;Flag for switching
    EEINCR EQU 0x4F ;Increment the EEaddress
    INPUT1 EQU 0x50 ;

;MAXIMUM EQU 0x52 ;
    ERRSIG EQU 0x53 ;Difference between stick input and position
    FLAG2 EQU 0x54 ;
    DEADBAND EQU 0x55 ;
    ;FLAG2 EQU 0x56 ;
    ;FLAG2 EQU 0x57 ;
    ;FLAG2 EQU 0x58 ;

#DEFINE accel_ip H'0' ;GP0 as Accel input
    #DEFINE servo_ip H'2' ;
    #DEFINE servo_op H'4' ;

#DEFINE AVER H'1' ;average subroutine flags
    #DEFINE STUP H'2' ;startup flags

#DEFINE BANK0 BCF STATUS,RP0
    #DEFINE BANK1 BSF STATUS,RP0

;#DEFINE AVER H'1' ;average subroutine flags
    ;#DEFINE STUP H'2' ;startup flags
    ;#DEFINE ON H'0' ;switch on flag
    ;#DEFINE timer_on H'0'

;************************************************************
    ; Reset and Interrupt Vectors
    org 00h ; Reset Vector
    goto Start
    org 04h ; Interrupt vector
    goto Intserv

; Main program
    ;*************************************************************************=
    Start

;Startup delay (1.25 mS)
    call Delay

;Zero registers
    CLRF temp1
    CLRF temp2
    CLRF left
    CLRF right
    CLRF ahead
    CLRF temp3
    CLRF medval
    CLRF COUNTR
    CLRF COUNTR1
    CLRF a_pulse
    CLRF NEW
    CLRF AVE
    CLRF SPEED
    CLRF temp
    CLRF op_pulse
    CLRF ip_pulse
    CLRF FLAGS
    CLRF NEW
    CLRF AVE
    CLRF SPEED
    CLRF TMR0_T
    CLRF W_TEMP
    CLRF GPIO_T
    CLRF lostsig
    CLRF lostsig1
    CLRF lostsig2
    CLRF lostsig3
    CLRF setreg
    CLRF clrreg
    CLRF TOCK
    CLRF TOCK1
    CLRF TOCKCOP1
    CLRF FLAG
    CLRF POSITION
    CLRF EMPTSTOP
    CLRF FULLSTOP
    CLRF INPUT
    CLRF FLAG1
    CLRF INPUT
    CLRF MINIMUM
    CLRF MAXIMUM
    BSF STATUS,RP0 ;set bank 1
    CLRF EEADR
    BCF STATUS,RP0 ;set bank 0
    CLRF FLAG2
    CLRF ERRSIG
    CLRF POSITION
    movlw 01h
    movwf EEINCR

;Activate next 4 lines if OSCCAL has been lost
    ; bsf STATUS, RP0 ;Bank 1
    ; call 3FFh ;Get the cal value
    ; movwf OSCCAL ;Calibrate
    ; bcf STATUS, RP0 ;Bank 0

movlw B'00000111' ;
    movwf CMCON ;Disable comparators
    movlw B'00000001' ;A/D on for channel 0.Left justfd
    movwf ADCON0
    BCF STATUS,RP0 ;set bank 0
    CLRF GPIO ;clear register before setting ports
    BANK1
    movlw B'01010001' ;Fosc /16
    movwf ANSEL ;Set AN0 as analogue input
    movlw B'00000101'
    movwf TRISIO ;write to GPIO
    movlw B'0000101' ;Prescaler set to 1:64.WPU enabled
    movwf OPTION_REG
    MOVLW B'10010000' ;Global Intrpt  and External Interrupt on
    MOVWF INTCON
    movlw B'00000000' ;No individual weak pull ups
    ; movlw B'00111110' ;Set individual weak pull ups
    movwf WPU
    BANK0
    MOVLW B'10100000' ;Intpt on Timer overflow
    MOVWF INTCON
    CLRF temp2
    CLRF flag1
    movlw D'100'
    movwf COUNTR ;Charge up startup delay counter
    BSF FLAGS,STUP ;Startup flag

; MAIN PROGRAM LOOP

main NOP ;Main program is just a loop.

goto main

;Interrupt service routine

Intserv nop

;Output pulse for servo

;Save interrupt variables
    movf W,W
    movwf W_TEMP ;Store variables
    movf STATUS,W
    movwf STATUS_T
    movf TMR0,W
    movwf TMR0_T
    movf GPIO,W
    movwf GPIO_T
    movf op_pulse,W
    movwf op_pulse_T

;Measure input pulse
    call meas_ip
    ;Measure accelerometer input pulse
    bsf ADCON0,1 ;AD on
    wait nop
    btfsc ADCON0,1
    goto wait
    movf ADRESH,W
    movwf ADHI

;Test - To reverse accelerometer direction
    ; comf ADHI,1 ;Take complement

;Test
    ; movlw D'200' ;was 170
    ; movwf ADHI

;Put minimum and maximum into ADHI
    movf ADHI,0
    movwf INPUT
    call TOPTAIL
    movf INPUT,0
    movwf ADHI

;Averaging for accelerometer output
    movf ADHI,0
    movwf NEW
    call AVE8 ;
    movf AVE,0
    movwf ADHI

;Put servo input into servo output
    movf ip_pulse,0
    movwf op_pulse

;If stick is in neutral use accelerometer input
    BCF STATUS,0 ;Reset C flag to 0

;Lower switchpoint
    MOVLW D'125' ;Load switchpoint 100
    SUBWF       ip_pulse,0  ;input-switchpoint.If +ve,C=1
    BTFSS STATUS,0 ;Look at C bit
    goto Leaper
    GOTO Lower ;Do this if C=0

Lower nop

;Upper switchpoint
    MOVLW D'185' ;Load switchpoint 140
    SUBWF       ip_pulse,0  ;input-switchpoint.If +ve,C=1
    BTFSC STATUS,0 ;Look at C bit
    goto Leaper

;Put accelerometer input in as output
    movf ADHI,0
    movwf op_pulse

Leaper nop

;Eeprom storage, timer skip routine reduces no of eeprom writes
    decfsz temp2,1
    goto skipof
    call datae ;Store data in EEprom
    ; call EEWrite
    movlw D'255' ;
    movwf temp2
    skipof nop

movlw D'160' ;213
    movwf temp
    bsf GPIO,servo_op

opr_1 nop
    nop
    decfsz temp,1 ;loop 213*5uS = 1065uS
    goto opr_1

movf op_pulse,0 ;w from Hewitt replaced by 0
    movwf temp ;

;get here after 864uS

opr_2 nop ;output loop op_pulse*5uS
    nop
    nop
    decfsz temp,1
    goto opr_2
    bcf GPIO,servo_op ;set servo output lo

;**************************
    ;Restore variables
    ;**************************
    movf STATUS_T,W
    movwf STATUS
    movf TMR0_T,W
    movwf TMR0
    movf GPIO_T,W
    movwf GPIO
    movf W_TEMP,W
    movwf W
    movf op_pulse_T,W
    movwf op_pulse

;Return from Interrupt
    BCF INTCON,2
    retfie

;* Measure transmitter input pulse, value in ip_pulse =

;* 0 = 864uS and 255 = 2139uS measured to the nearest 5uS =
    ; (Original routine by Ken Hewitt. With lost signal routine, taken from switcher program)
    meas_ip nop

;INPUTS PORTA,servo_ip
    ;OUTPUTS ip_pulse

clrf ip_pulse ;clear the file reg

;Load up counters(temp and temp1)
    movlw D'216' ;was 216
    movwf temp ;Load up temp counters
    clrw

meas_1 nop ;Lost signal routine. If no input, increment lost signal counters
    ; INCF lostsig,1 ;Add 1 to lostsig - this section commented out to reduce loop time
    ; BCF STATUS,2
    ; movf lostsig,0
    ; sublw D'255' ;Timer minus 255
    ; btfsc STATUS,2 ;skip if clear
    INCF lostsig1,1 ;clock countr div by 255
    BCF STATUS,2
    MOVF lostsig1,0 ;Copies lostsig1
    btfsc STATUS,2
    INCF lostsig2,1 ;clock countr div by 255
    BCF STATUS,2
    MOVF lostsig2,0 ;Copies lostsig1
    btfsc STATUS,2
    goto fail_safe

btfss GPIO,servo_ip ;wait for ip line to be low before doing anything, then continue
    goto meas_1 ;

clrf lostsig ;If we've got to here, we have an input ,so clear lost sig counters
    clrf lostsig1
    clrf lostsig2
    clrf lostsig3
    clrf FLAGS

;Time incoming pulse. Wait 864 uS if pulse is <864 uS then error
    TimeA2 nop
    decfsz temp,1 ;loop 216*4uS = 864 uS
    goto TimeA2

;Next test to ensure ip is still hi

btfss GPIO,servo_ip
    goto short_pulse

;Loop to meas input (first test at 1000 uS) this loop is 5uS long
    ;250*5 us = 1250us

Time_ip btfss GPIO,servo_ip ;test the ip is still hi
    goto end_ip ;go and test again
    incfsz ip_pulse,1
    goto Time_ip
    goto max_pulse

;end of ip pulse
    end_ip nop
    ;NO return with measured value in reg
    goto out

max_pulse
    movlw D'252' ;YES set reg to 252
    movwf ip_pulse
    goto out

short_pulse
    movlw D'5' ;
    movwf ip_pulse ;
    goto out

fail_safe NOP ;Once all the lostsigy cntrs full, come here
    MOVLW D'250' ;servo failsafe position, was 250
    MOVWF ip_pulse

out nop

return

;----------------------------
    ; Delay routine (1.25mS)
    ;----------------------------

;Startup delay (1.25 mS)
    Delay movlw D'250' ;
    movwf temp

opr_3 nop
    nop
    decfsz temp,1 ;loop 250*5uS
    goto opr_3
    return

;Create a 15 mS delay
    Delay1 MOVLW D'15'
    MOVWF temp
    Delay1a NOP
    DECFSZ temp1,1 ;4uS x 256 loops=approx 1mS
    GOTO Delay1a
    DECFSZ temp,1
    GOTO Delay1a
    return
    ; Delay for slow speed
    Delayslo nop
    MOVLW B'00000000' ;Turn  LEDs off
    MOVWF GPIO
    call Delay
    call Delay
    call Delay
    ; call Delay
    ; call Delay
    ; call Delay
    return
    ; Data for EEWrite routine

datae nop
    movlw D'0' ;
    movwf EEINCR
    movf ip_pulse,0
    call EEWrite

movlw D'1' ;
    movwf EEINCR
    movf ADHI,0
    call EEWrite

leapy10
    return

;-------------------------------------------------
    ;The sub-routine to write to EEPROM is shown below.    
    EEWrite nop
    bsf STATUS,RP0 ; Bank 1
    bsf EECON1,WREN ; Enable write
    bcf INTCON,GIE ; Disable INTs
    movwf EEDATA ; set EEPROM data
    movf EEINCR,0 ; ee address in
    movwf EEADR ; set EEPROM address
    movlw 0x55
    movwf EECON2 ; Write 55h
    movlw 0xAA
    movwf EECON2 ; Write AAh
    bsf EECON1,WR ; Set WR bit
    bsf INTCON,GIE ; Enable INTS
    ; begin write
    bcf STATUS,RP0 ; Bank 0

ret12 btfss PIR1,EEIF ; wait for write to complete.
    goto ret12
    bcf PIR1,EEIF ; and clear the 'write complete' flag
    bsf INTCON,GIE ; Enable Global Interrupt
    bsf STATUS,RP0 ; Bank 1
    bcf EECON1,WREN ; Disable write
    bcf STATUS,RP0 ; Bank 0
    retlw 0x00

EE_Read bsf STATUS,RP0 ; Bank 1
    movlw D'0'
    movwf EEADR ; Address to read
    bsf EECON1,RD ; EE Read
    movf EEDATA,0 ; W = EEDATA
    bcf STATUS,RP0 ; Bank 0
    movwf EEDATA
    retlw 0x00

;Program clock pulse routine

TICKER nop
    call Delay ;Padding
    call Delay ;Padding
    INCF TOCK,1 ;Add 1 to TOCK
    BCF STATUS,2
    movf TOCK,0
    btfsc STATUS,2
    INCF TOCK1,1 ;clock countr div by 255
    MOVF TOCK1,0 ;Copies Tock1 (About 6 secs)
    MOVWF TOCKCOP1

RETURN

;Divide or multiply routine
    divide nop

rrf NEW,0 ;divide by 2 and leave in W
    andlw B'01111111' ;mask off one upper bit

; rlf NEW,0 ;multiply by 2 and leave in W
    ; andlw B'11111110' ;mask off one lower bit

MOVWF NEW
    return

;------------------------------------
    ;AVERAGE (Average of last 8 numbers.)
    ; Needs NEW as input. Gives AVE as output
    ; The formula can be rewritten as: Ave' = Ave + ( New - Ave )/8 ;

AVE8 MOVF AVE,0
    SUBWF NEW,0 ;NEW - AVE, saved in W
    BTFSC STATUS,C ;Check the carry bit
    GOTO PLUS2 ;Its positive
    GOTO MINUS2 ;Its negative

PLUS2
    MOVWF NEW ;Save NEW-AVE
    BCF FLAGS,AVER
    GOTO EXIT1

MINUS2 MOVF NEW,0 ;
    SUBWF AVE,0 ;AVE-NEW
    MOVWF NEW
    BSF FLAGS,AVER

EXIT1 NOP ;Continue

andlw B'00011111' ;mask off three upper bits
    MOVWF NEW

BTFSC FLAGS,AVER
    GOTO NEG3
    GOTO POS3

NEG3 MOVF NEW,0
    SUBWF AVE,1 ;AVE-NEW
    GOTO LOOPY3

POS3 MOVF NEW,0
    ADDWF AVE,1 ;AVE+NEW

LOOPY3 nop

RETURN

; ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; TOP & TAIL SUBROUTINE. Needs INPUT, MINIMUM & MAXIMUM
    ;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;TOP & TAIL the INPUT

TOPTAIL MOVLW D'100' ; was 110 Minimum
    MOVWF MINIMUM ;Puts value into MINIMUM

MOVLW D'180' ;was 170 Maximum
    MOVWF MAXIMUM

;If CARRY BIT (C)  is set (1), Make it maximum

BTFSC STATUS,0
    CALL MAXSUB

;If INPUT LT MINIMUM, MAKE IT MINIMUM.
    MOVF MINIMUM,0 ;Get MINIMUM and put in W
    SUBWF       INPUT,0       ;Calc INPUT-MINIMUM (W).If +ve,C=1
    CALL MINSUB ;Do this if C=0

;If INPUT GT MAXIMUM, MAKE IT MAXIMUM
    MOVF INPUT,0 ;Get INPUT and put in W
    BSF STATUS,0 ;Reset C flag to 1
    SUBWF MAXIMUM,0 ;Calc MAXIMUM-INPUT(W).If +ve,C=1
    CALL MAXSUB ;Do this if C=0
    BCF STATUS,0 ;Reset C flag to 0.Imptnt for RRF!
    RETURN ;End of TOPTAIL

;Subroutines for TOPTAIL
    ;-----------------------
    ;If INPUT is too low. Put a minimum into INPUT
    MINSUB MOVF MINIMUM,0
    MOVWF INPUT
    RETURN

;If INPUT too high. Put a maximum into INPUT
    MAXSUB MOVF MAXIMUM,0
    MOVWF INPUT
    RETURN

END

;Bit value mode finder

;Finds mode value for a stream of bits
    ;Needs medval, bit 1 and edit COUNTR1 (254 most sensitive)

median btfss medval,1 ;if bit is set. accumulate clear counter
    call clearacc
    btfsc medval,1 ;if bit is set. accumulate set counter
    call setacc

decfsz COUNTR1,1 ;reset counters etc if zero
    goto skipper

call TESTER

clrf clrreg
    clrf setreg
    movlw D'254'
    movwf COUNTR1

skipper return

clearacc incf clrreg,1
    return

setacc incf setreg,1

return

TESTER BCF STATUS,C
    MOVF clrreg,0 ;Copies clrreg
    subwf setreg,0 ;subtract one from another and leave result in w
    btfsc STATUS,C
    GOTO PLUS_ER ;Its positive
    GOTO MINUS_ER ;Its negative

PLUS_ER BSF medval,1
    GOTO CE

MINUS_ER BCF medval,1

CE RETURN

; ------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ; TOP & TAIL SUBROUTINE. Needs INPUT, MINIMUM & MAXIMUM
    ;--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ;TOP & TAIL the INPUT

TOPTAIL MOVLW D'5' ;102 Minimum
    MOVWF MINIMUM ;Puts value into MINIMUM

MOVLW D'250' ;153 Maximum
    MOVWF MAXIMUM

;If CARRY BIT (C)  is set (1), Make it maximum
    BTFSC STATUS,0
    CALL MAXSUB

;If INPUT LT MINIMUM, MAKE IT MINIMUM.
    MOVF MINIMUM,0 ;Get MINIMUM and put in W
    SUBWF       INPUT,0       ;Calc INPUT-MINIMUM (W).If +ve,C=1
    CALL MINSUB ;Do this if C=0

;If INPUT GT MAXIMUM, MAKE IT MAXIMUM
    MOVF INPUT,0 ;Get INPUT and put in W
    BSF STATUS,0 ;Reset C flag to 1
    SUBWF MAXIMUM,0 ;Calc MAXIMUM-INPUT(W).If +ve,C=1
    CALL MAXSUB ;Do this if C=0
    RETURN ;End of TOPTAIL

;Subroutines for TOPTAIL
    ;-----------------------
    ;If INPUT is too low. Put a minimum into INPUT
    MINSUB MOVF MINIMUM,0
    MOVWF INPUT
    RETURN

;If INPUT too high. Put a maximum into INPUT
    MAXSUB MOVF MAXIMUM,0
    MOVWF INPUT
    RETURN

;Latch  pump on routine

; Latch keeps flag off for 2 seconds and then flag on for a maximum
    ; of 90 seconds. Flag is than off for 4 mins and then everything starts again

latch nop

;TEST
    ; movlw D'255'
    ; movwf TICKER

; Short starting delay - flag off
    movf TOCKCOP1,0
    sublw D'1' ;Timer minus 1.(This keeps pump off for 4 secs)
    btfsc STATUS,0 ;Check the carry bit
    goto leapy ;not timed out so keep motor on
    ;Flag on
    movf TOCKCOP1,0
    sublw D'20' ;Timer minus 20.(This puts pump on for 1mins)
    goto leapy1 ;not timed out so keep motor on
    ;Flag off for 4 minutes
    movf TOCKCOP1,0
    sublw D'70' ;Timer minus 70. Tis gives 5 min pause
    goto leapy2 ;not timed out so keep motor on

;Reset timers and start again
    CLRF TOCK1
    CLRF TOCKCOP1
    bsf FLAG,timer_on
    goto leapy3

leapy bcf FLAG,timer_on ;initial delay not over so keep flag off
    goto leapy3

leapy1 nop
    bsf FLAG,timer_on ;not timed out so keep flag on
    goto leapy3

leapy2 bcf FLAG,timer_on ;timed out so keep flag off
    goto leapy3

leapy3 RETURN

;SUBROUTINE
    ;AVERAGE (Average of last 4 numbers.)
    ; Needs NEW as input. Gives AVE as output. Also FLAGS.
    ; The formula can be rewritten as: Ave' = Ave + ( New - Ave )/4 ;

AVE4 MOVF AVE,0
    GOTO PLUS ;Its positive
    GOTO MINUS ;Its negative

PLUS
    MOVWF NEW ;Save NEW-AVE
    BCF FLAGS,AVER
    GOTO EXIT

MINUS MOVF NEW,0
    SUBWF AVE,0 ;AVE-NEW
    MOVWF NEW
    BSF FLAGS,AVER

EXIT NOP ;Continue

andlw B'00111111' ;mask off two upper bits
    MOVWF NEW

BTFSC FLAGS,AVER
    GOTO NEG1
    GOTO POS1

NEG1 MOVF NEW,0
    SUBWF AVE,1 ;AVE-NEW
    GOTO LOOPY1

POS1 MOVF NEW,0
    ADDWF AVE,1 ;AVE+NEW

LOOPY1 nop
    RETURN

;AVERAGE (Average of last 8 numbers.)
    ; Needs NEW as input. Gives AVE as output
    ; The formula can be rewritten as: Ave' = Ave + ( New - Ave )/8 ;

AVE8 MOVF AVE,0
    GOTO PLUS2 ;Its positive
    GOTO MINUS2 ;Its negative

PLUS2
    MOVWF NEW ;Save NEW-AVE
    BCF FLAGS,AVER
    GOTO EXIT1

MINUS2 MOVF NEW,0 ;
    SUBWF AVE,0 ;AVE-NEW
    MOVWF NEW
    BSF FLAGS,AVER

EXIT1 NOP ;Continue

andlw B'00011111' ;mask off three upper bits
    MOVWF NEW

BTFSC FLAGS,AVER
    GOTO NEG3
    GOTO POS3

NEG3 MOVF NEW,0
    SUBWF AVE,1 ;AVE-NEW
    GOTO LOOPY3

POS3 MOVF NEW,0
    ADDWF AVE,1 ;AVE+NEW

LOOPY3 nop

RETURN

;AVERAGE (Average of last 16 numbers.)

;       Initially written by Andrew Warren (fastfwd at ix.netcom.com).
    ;       Optimized by Dmitry A. Kiryashov (zews at aha.ru) 06/18/2000
    ; The formula can be rewritten as: Ave' = Ave + ( New - Ave )/16 ;
    ;       12 clocks/words.
    ; Needs NEW as input and AVFRACGives AVE as output

AVE16
           movf   AVE,0 ;Moves AVE into W
           subwf   NEW,1   ;NEW - AVE (NEW - W)

swapf   NEW,0 ;Swap upper and lower nibbles
           andlw   0x0F     ;get lower nibble(/16 int part)
           skpc     ;result is neg?
           iorlw   0xF0     ;yes
           addwf   AVE,F

swapf   NEW,W
           andlw   0xF0     ;get /16 frac part
           addwf   AVFRAC,F
           skpnc
    incf     AVE,F
    RETURN
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:18 am

A bit of an update on my conversion to C.  A  bit of an uphill struggle!

But I think I am getting there. A lot depends on your background, I think. I come from a Fortran, Basic and Assembly background and (in these circumstances) I think the best way is to build on what you have. C is quite different and seems a bit vague and whispy at first (All those wavy brackets!) It is also a very large language used by the professionals but is therefore very well supported (Just try the net if you don't believe me). You can get lost at first.

I tried various approaches but in the end just used my original proportional tank routine and moved it across to C. That meant that I only needed a limited vocabularly anyway. C is also quite "bit" orientated which is what you need when dealing with microprocessors.

I like the new XC8 compiler from Microchip. I am using this with the PicKit3 programmer and the debug facility is very useful and makes development so much easier. The 16f88 pic is a fair compromise on cost and 5v operation, which we need with radio control.

I see a lot written about on Arduinos and there is a lot of common ground - not least the C language! PICs are very low cost and link into the Commercial world. That is about it really - you take your PIC!

Here is my humble attempt at the Piston Tank Proportional Control software. This is the bare bones it just takes in a couple of Hall switch inputs. One mimics the rev counter on the tank and does a count using an Interrupt. The other simulates the receiver output. These feed through to a couple of LEDs which represent the input to an H bridge.This works but does not do very much useful stuff! A lot more detail to go in over the next few winter months. Meanwhile I will carry on running my actual piston tanks with the little old 12f629 pics using Assembly!

/* * File:   main.c
    * Author:(c) David Forrest
    * Basic Hardware setup for piston tank proportional control
    * Using 16F88
    * Connect LEDs to outputs for H Bridge controller forb test purposes
    * Connect Hall switches to Hall input and receiver input for test purposes
    * The LED's flash in various ways when the Hall switches are triggered
    * Created on 06 December 2014, 14:07
    */
    //#include <pic16F88.h>     //Best not to include, use xc.h
    #include <stdio.h>
    #include <stdlib.h>
    #include <xc.h>
    #include <stdint.h>

// CONFIG1
    #pragma config FOSC = INTOSCIO  // Oscillator Selection bits (INTRC oscillator; port I/O function on both RA6/OSC2/CLKO pin and RA7/OSC1/CLKI pin)
    #pragma config WDTE = OFF       // Watchdog Timer Enable bit (WDT disabled)
    #pragma config PWRTE = OFF      // Power-up Timer Enable bit (PWRT disabled)
    #pragma config MCLRE = ON       // RA5/MCLR/VPP Pin Function Select bit (RA5/MCLR/VPP pin function is MCLR)
    #pragma config BOREN = ON      // Brown-out Reset Enable bit (BOR disabled)
    #pragma config LVP = OFF        // Low-Voltage Programming Enable bit (RB3 is digital I/O, HV on MCLR must be used for programming)
    #pragma config CPD = OFF        // Data EE Memory Code Protection bit (Code protection off)
    #pragma config WRT = OFF        // Flash Program Memory Write Enable bits (Write protection off)
    #pragma config CCPMX = RB0      // CCP1 Pin Selection bit (CCP1 function on RB0)
    #pragma config CP = OFF         // Flash Program Memory Code Protection bit (Code protection off)

// CONFIG2
    #pragma config FCMEN = ON       // Fail-Safe Clock Monitor Enable bit (Fail-Safe Clock Monitor enabled)
    #pragma config IESO = ON        // Internal External Switchover bit (Internal External Switchover mode enabled)

#define _XTAL_FREQ 4000000

int countH = 0;           // Make Hall switch count a global variable

////////////////////////////////////////////////
    /////INTERRUPT SERVICE ROUTINE (HALL SWITCH)////

void interrupt Hall (void)        //ISR for Hall switch
    {
       INTCONbits.INT0IF = 0;            //Reset the Interrupt Flag
       PORTA=0b00000011;
       countH=countH + 1;
           __delay_ms (30);
       }

int main() {

int FlagA=0;int FlagB=0;
    unsigned short int count;

TRISA =0b11111100;     //Outputs for LED and H bridge on RA0(Red LED) & RA1(Green LED)
    TRISB =0b11111111;     //RB4 - Servo input, RB0 - Hall switch Input
    CMCON =0b00000000;
    ANSEL =0b00000000;     //Set analogue bits to digital

INTCONbits.INT0IF = 0;         //Reset the Interrupt Flag
    OPTION_REGbits.nRBPU=1;        // Port B pullups enabled (1=enabled)
    INTCONbits.INT0IE = 1;         //Enable external Interrupt
    INTCONbits.GIE    = 1;         //Enable Global Interrupts

/////INITIAL TANK SETUP ROUTINE//////////////////////
    PORTA=0;PORTB=0;
    FlagA =PORTA;          //Use Flag to store Inputs
    FlagB =PORTB;          //Use Flag to store Inputs
    int i;
    for(i=1; i<4; i++)     //For  loop does routine i times
    {

FlagA=0;
     PORTA=FlagA;
       __delay_ms (5);

FlagA=1;
      PORTA=FlagA;
       __delay_ms (5);

}
    int i;
    for(i=1;i<3;i++)
    {

FlagA=2;
        PORTA=FlagA;
      __delay_ms (7);
    }
     int FlagA=0;int i;

/////MAIN PROGRAM LOOP//////////////////////////

while(1)      //Just a loop
     {
    FlagA =PORTA;          //Use Flag to store Inputs
    FlagB =PORTB;          //Use Flag to store Inputs

if(FlagB & 0b00010000)      //Test for servo input by masking the bits
      {
          FlagA=2;
      }
       else
      {
          FlagA=3;
      }

PORTA=FlagA;
      __delay_ms (20);
           FlagA=0;
        PORTA=FlagA;
      __delay_ms (20);

}

return;

}
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:05 pm

Slow and frustrating progress with this project moving onto C!! (Maybe the Arduino users have got it right!)

I'm still working on getting reliable input (servo) pulse measurements.

Part of the problem is that debug and simulator functions on the PicKit3 using XC8 are not ALL available so the device does not tell you exactly what is happening. (Which is rather the point of having debugger.)

Also this annoying message keeps on coming up for no known reason:

"Target Device ID (0x3fe0) does not match expected Device ID (0x760)"

All this morning - so no progress.

Thank goodness that I have the software working in Assembly.

John W - you may be relieved to know that I have got TMR0 more or less working.

But finger nails are fine, Bart!
    bwi
    bwi
    AMS member

PIC and Arduino microprocessors Empty PIC and Arduino microprocessors

Post  bwi Thu Feb 12, 2015 6:34 pm

david f wrote:But finger nails are fine, Bart!
    LOL........If I would get into this stuff……I would chew all my fingernails off David. So congrats that you left yours alone.
    grtz,
    Bart

Last edited by david f on Thu Nov 05, 2015 3:13 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : include Arduino)
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:07 am

I realise , for anyone following this , it is slow progress! I AM doing other things and programmming tends to be a winter activity.

I found that I had some logic errors in my program anyway and I think that you are better off using the Simulator rather than the Debugger when you are developing code. (The Debugger is best used for final tweaking.)

Oh and if you get strange error messages the golden rule of computers applies. Switch it off and then on again and the problems go away!
    John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Post  John Wrennall Sat Mar 07, 2015 9:09 pm

Hi All

I agree that progress using assembler can be slow, especially when you get funny looks cause you are mumbling to yourself about rotating this flag and decrementing that flag after clearing a bit of it !!!  It is definitely worth exploring though as it gives you a greater understanding of what is happening inside the PIC chips before you try to control a nuclear power station (Fisson Chips?)
    Put down that large blunt object please.

Have now progressed passed the ubiquitous flashing leds and have finally got a servo moving - whoopee - and all in assembler

After lots of head scratching on my next program (hopefully a useful one, will tell you what it does if it does it), I downloaded a copy of "Great Cow Basic".
        IT'S  FREE  

At its minimum, this program lets you type in a couple of lines of Basic, hit the AMS button(or is it ASM) and it presents you with the assembler code + hex code with another button. This makes it ideal for me as I'm still on a PIC learning curve.
    Or you can write the full program in Basic
    Or, and this may appeal to absolute beginners/curious onlookers, you can use a graphical input - select the desired icons, drop on screen, add a few parameters and away you go...
    I had an led flasher program going with this in under 2 minutes.

Bought some more parts today at Ellesmere Port boat show and hopefully will be soldering tomorrow.

cheers for now...
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Mon Mar 09, 2015 9:37 am

Hi John,

Nice to hear from somebody else being driven mad by microprocessors!

(My slow learning attempts are in C.)

You make the very good point that there are many ways to get there and the best language is the one that works for you. (Assembly, Arduino, Basic, C or C++!)

And the worst thing is NOT to have a go with these things - they are so useful to our hobby.

(I am just about to post some trials based on Tim's ( tsenecal ) work over on the SubCommittee based on a different processor which will , I think, transform our hobby.)

David

profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Tue Mar 10, 2015 7:08 pm

HI ,

I mast Congratulate You for thes Tread , I am the one with the wide open eyes and ears , and I wheel be one of Your clossest folowers .
    One of the reasons for delay my Submarine construction is the need to learn some how one of these Programing Languages .
    But I have to say to all : if You don't have some serious knowledge about Math Is NOT possible to assimilate such Huge information . Unfortunalety is Not my case . LOL .
    Becouse of that I start with one of the very easy Platform : ARDUINO UNO - is very Cheap , maybe 4-5 GBP ! , and above that I was able to understand how is working , not to mention You can find around 300-500 videos about how to learn and use .
    My humble atempt can be seen here :
    - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ZibFIj0DHo&feature=youtu.be ;
    - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACfUOOKZCHs

MARIUS
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:43 am

Very interesting, Marius.

How long did it take to get those going? (Weeks, Days, Hours?)

If Hours then Arduino is probably the way to go!

Very good to hear your voice, by the way.

David
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Wed Mar 11, 2015 7:15 pm

david f wrote:Very interesting, Marius.

How long did it take to get those going? (Weeks, Days, Hours?)
    If Hours then Arduino is probably the way to go!
    Very good to hear your voice, by the way.

David

Actualy in in 20-30 min after I reed the instructions I did the first "blinking program" for one LED .
    But there is " a miles away road ahead " before I understand same simple comands in any serious program like C / C++ / Java  .

Can You reccomand a way to learn one of these programs , or for the simple instructions ?.
    I have a serious handicap with the language . English as any other language witch is not mathern language is very complex , specialy the Tech part . So is a very serious chalenge ahead .
    I wheel look forward to see what's next on the tread .

Thanks DAVID ,

I had a hard time , some problems at the work but I'm good know and I did some progress on sub .

MARIUS
    david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Post  david f Fri Mar 13, 2015 4:22 pm

That's very good Marius. Quick!

Actually if you are using Arduino functions together you are already using C++ or C (Arduino just uses complex C++ functions.)

I would have thought that getting into programming languages was easier than spoken languages?

Can you not find an introductory text (book or online) which is in a language you understand?

Against this I have to say that some programming guides are incomprehensible in English (fluent gobbledegook) and I am a native English speaker!

David
    profesorul
    profesorul

Post  profesorul Fri Mar 13, 2015 6:11 pm

david f wrote:That's very good Marius. Quick!

... I would have thought that getting into programming languages was easier than spoken languages?

Can you not find an introductory text (book or online) which is in a language you understand?

Against this I have to say that some programming guides are incomprehensible in English (fluent gobbledegook) and I am a native English speaker!

David

1) At the first site it looks so but when it comes to make understandable commands I get stuk ;
    2) Actualy I don't know exactly what to look / where to look ;
    3) Funny what are You sayng , becouse all the people I spok of sad: "start learn English hard !!! . LOL

MARIUS
    John Wrennall
    John Wrennall
    AMS member

Post  John Wrennall Fri Mar 13, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi Marius.

http://www.gooligum.com.au/

This may be of help.
    An Australian site with several beginner level free tutorials

regards

John