The Association of Model Submariners.

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

* THE FORUM FOR ALL THOSE INTERESTED IN BUILDING AND OPERATING MODEL SUBMARINES *

Join the AMS - Registered Forum users can become members of the AMS and it's free ...... To join send an email with your name , address and phone number to amstreasure@googlemail.com

For a guide to past events see the "Shows and Events" section.

Papplewick Pumping Station SUBMARINE Day. 31st March - 1st April 2024.

$$$

&&&

::::

Who is online?

In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 180 on Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:03 am

Latest topics

» Information on camouflage patterns for German seahund
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptyFri Mar 15, 2024 4:36 pm by david f

» WW2 mini sub build
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptyTue Mar 12, 2024 1:56 pm by geofrancis

» Not the hobby I expected :)
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptySun Mar 10, 2024 6:30 pm by cat

» 868/915 Mhz as a viable frequency for submarines.
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptyWed Mar 06, 2024 4:50 pm by tsenecal

» Sheerline gasket material
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptyMon Feb 19, 2024 9:24 pm by Michaelc

» Choice of CAD software and Printer for 3D printing
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptyThu Feb 15, 2024 1:53 pm by david f

» Engel Nautlus
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptyTue Feb 13, 2024 9:15 am by palmert6

» RF 27/433MHz maximum depth in pools (1-5 ppm chlorine, 6-8pH)
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 2:05 pm by david f

» Arduino proportional control of a piston tank
Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 EmptyThu Feb 08, 2024 1:37 pm by david f

Statistics

Our users have posted a total of 12425 messages in 1980 subjects

We have 1005 registered users

The newest registered user is Les

Similar topics

Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014

david f
    david f
    AMS Treasurer

Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 Empty Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014

Post  david f Fri Jan 09, 2015 1:58 pm

Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 Sam_0310

Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 Sam_0311

Hi All,

It would have been customary to have published an article in the magazine when Nigel retired as Chairman last July. But we don't have a magazine now, so here goes.

Nigel became Chairman back in 2002. A memory jogger timeline - Ford at Dagenham finally closes. Mr T Blair still Prime Minister. I had just joined the AMS then but I started my search into Nigel's past by looking at the "In Depth" magazine archive. It is a sign of how far we have come with Nigel that I did not start flipping through a bunch of dusty old magazines but instead called up a scanned, searchable copy on DVD (Courtesy of Tom in the US).

The Summer 2002 issue is the first one with Nigel as Chairman (He took over from Dave Austin) He reveals in this issue that he was introduced to the hobby by Paul Cook and Alf Blake. Typically of the time, he did not "poke" them on Facebook but phoned them up and visited them for a chat!

In the next issue he issued a challenge - the idea that we should develop a small "35mm film can" size locator beacon for our subs. It was a typically far-sighted challenge and showed that he had identified an important need for the model sub community - preventing the loss of your pride and joy. (I mean your submarine!)

I responded to that challenge with the present Pinger which is at least close to his original vision. I remember him being very tactful about my early hydrophone "disks". (Produced without a lathe!)

I think that far sighted vision is something that characterises him. It is something that he has needed over the years - being clear about what the AMS is and what it needs to do. I was impressed that he had a phone conversation last year with Roger Serpell (The Founder of the AMS) about the future of the AMS in an internet age. Apparently they both agreed that the role was still very much the same - to provide a channel for model sub builders to communicate and meet up. Two visionaries together!

I suppose that critics might argue that the AMS was old fashioned, too much wedded to paper based magazines. In fact Nigel was well aware of this but could see that  the AMS had sufficient resources (people and money) so that it could continue with a magazine whilst developing internet based resources in parallel.

Anyway, enough about strategic vision and the AMS. He is also a very fine modeller and predominantly a scratch builder.(A vanishing breed perhaps?) He researches a submarine and builds something in model form that has not existed before. His greatest skill is probably the production of superbly detailed and "crisp" fibreglass hulls but he is also very good at mechanical design. (Have a look at his Hunley and Pioneer.) These are excellent examples of his favourite submarine models in recent years - historical submarines.

Being the Chairman of a group of idealists spread throughout the world can never be an easy job (The post remains unfilled) but Nigel has done it very well.

So thanks Nigel and sorry to see you go. We hope that not having the duties of Chairman means that we will see more fine models and more discussion from you on the Forum in future.

David

Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 100_8810

Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 100_8811

Thank you to Nigel - Chairman from 2002 to 2014 Sam_0312

Current date/time is Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:07 pm